Contra lightning av/070 hybrid

Steve670

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Bought this old Stihl from a local mower shop for $50, he had no idea what it was either did I but i knew it was coming home with me. Found out contra parts are hard to find, needed the top end, carb, muffler, top cover etc.
Found a good used 070 piston/cyl, rebuilt carb, 090 top cover. Got some oem rings, clips, gudgeon pin, little end bearing,base gasket and a chinga muffler.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! What did you use for an air filter? Did the top cover couple up to the contra front and rear clips? I got a good running Contra missing top cover. Interesting!

Steve670

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! What did you use for an air filter? Did the top cover couple up to the contra front and rear clips? I got a good running Contra missing top cover. Interesting!
Used an 070/090 air filter.
No clips, it's an 070 top end. I removed the rear clip and fitted a 070/090 post(the part the fuel line goes around) and the top cover bolted straight on.
A complete and running contra (1 owner) popped up on gumtree two days ago for $200, I sent the bloke a message but Id say it's already sold.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw that Contra, it was a nice one for $200-! I love the torque and fast throttle of my Contra. You feel alive running it.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If you sell it take the metal tags off the top cover, those are like hens teeth and are handy if you get an 090 that's missing them! Or better still find an old beat up 070 top cover and swap them

Steve670

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I saw that Contra, it was a nice one for $200-! I love the torque and fast throttle of my Contra. You feel alive running it.
Yeah gave mine a run on the weekend for the first time, was impressed with the torque but the thing almost wore me out after an hour of cutting.
Full respect to the blokes that ran these back in the day.

Steve670

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you sell it take the metal tags off the top cover, those are like hens teeth and are handy if you get an 090 that's missing them! Or better still find an old beat up 070 top cover and swap them
Definitely won't be selling it, already had some interest in the metal tag, bloke said he's been looking for a decent 090 tag for a while.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Definitely won't be selling it, already had some interest in the metal tag, bloke said he's been looking for a decent 090 tag for a while.
That doesn't surprise me one bit! Only used tags I come across usually have a £300 price tag attached to a basket case 090!

But I agree I wouldn't like to run one for a full day, they're god damn heavy without a bar and chain!

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some guys that are pretty old now who bought Contras new in their day, still say they prefer them to new saws. While AV and design has improved a lot over the decades, the Contra is a really clever design. Manual/auto oiler, governor to keep it alive magnesium everywhere. They are just darn cool. I picked mine up from the local tip it was heading to the metal scrap bin. It has a minty piston/cylinder no air leaks but missing top cover & air filter.

Steve670

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some guys that are pretty old now who bought Contras new in their day, still say they prefer them to new saws. While AV and design has improved a lot over the decades, the Contra is a really clever design. Manual/auto oiler, governor to keep it alive magnesium everywhere. They are just darn cool. I picked mine up from the local tip it was heading to the metal scrap bin. It has a minty piston/cylinder no air leaks but missing top cover & air filter.
Very simple machine to work on too, reminds me of an old HQ.
Have you looked at the after market top covers?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, I think there is a guy in Germany selling new AM top covers that apparently are pretty good quality/fit. I have plenty of saws to play with for work saws so the Contra is just a saw that is one of a few vintage saws I have as play projects. I've put a Tilly kit in the carb, put new fuel lines in & changed out sprockets from 1/2" to .404 7pin. I have the filter housing (loop thingy) but no filter. I've got a kids sock and rubber band on it. As the saw has been used a lot, there is much paint missing so I am steering away from new shiny AM chincy clutch covers etc. I think I'll either get a AM top cover or do something like what you have done with an 070/090 cover.