Country flag

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
2:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im not understanding what yall r saying. Hoses and adapters should be standard length and not protrude into the chamber but only fill the gap like a plug?

Keith Gandy

Maxima K2 40:1 87 Pump Gas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All depends on where the bottom valve is. If there's an adapter on the end of the hose, the reading will be slightly lower.
I see what u r saying. Ive never fooled with adapters but only hoses of different sizes

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never did either til a valve in mine went bad. Couldn't find valves, so i mistakenly bought a tester without a bottom valve. Needle would rise, but only registering about 5 psi on the gauge. Basically, everything between the cylinder and the lowest valve becomes part of the combustion chamber

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has tried using something like play dough to test how much volume is needed to achieve a desired compression reading. Put a layer so thick on the piston or in the top of the cylinder and test, then test again.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I had a debate about the longer or shorter threads changing the compression with the local small engine repair shop. I said it did change the numbers because it changed the volume. They both told me no but when I asked why not and explain they couldn't?

Too much headache for a chainsaw or a trimmer?? dont worth

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Dang it man where do you keep finding all this stuff so cheap? You seem skilled at it.
Relax friend are not the NASA tools , if you go to ebay you will see tones of theese tools for about 30-40 dollars

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang it man where do you keep finding all this stuff so cheap? You seem skilled at it.

Found in a pawn shop around the corner from my office. It was in a display case with the lid closed and marked $10. I had him dig out the two impacts (a Mac and a Blue Point) and got all of it for $50 out the door.

image.jpeg

The belt sander cost me another $30.

CrufflerJJ

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Where can I get an adapter to use on the newer saws with the smaller plug hole?
I've got a 550xp and an ms211 that I would like to check for various reasons.
Also how much margin of error does an adapter add?
Thanks all.

Back in December, I had an online discussion with Brad Snelling about this same issue. I have a compression gauge I bought from Bailey's. That gauge doesn't come with a 10mm adapter for testing saws with the dinky little spark plugs, so I bought a 14mm-->10mm adapter (a threaded cylinder of steel with gaskets to seal either end). It has a ~1/8" diameter hole running through it.

When testing my 2014 vintage 562XP when it's cold, I got a massive (!!) 118 PSI after about 5-6 pulls. This sucks, so I pulled the muffler & checked the piston, which looks just fine.

It seems that you need a Schrader valve at the end of the 10mm threaded adapter or hose or whatever you use. My adapter has no such valve. Brad explained that by doing so, you basically add the volume of the adapter to the volume of the combustion chamber (when the piston is at TDC).

So I pulled out my JB Weld, and filled the 1/8" hole as best I could, carefully packing it into the adapter with a toothpick, cured the epoxy with a hot air gun, then drilled a wee little hole through the adapter. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I ended up filling 1.6cc of dead air space (as measured by water displacement & my reloading scale). Compression testing with the epoxy filled adapter gave me a pressure of 142 PSI.

So I'm not sure how accurate my 142 PSI reading really is. I'd read over on AS about somebody else testing their 562XP with a 10mm adapter vs the "real" gauge, and they saw 130 PSI vs ~160 PSI with the real gauge.