Cleaning 518

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those that go in and out of these cylinders with a gasket delete and use 518 to seal them... how do you clean it off when you go back in? Stuff when cured is pretty stout.

Tbrown

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used 518 a lot at work. Loctite brand chisel gasket remover worked great. Spray it on and wait 5-15 minutes. Not sure how it will react with mag and aluminum.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used 518 a lot at work. Loctite brand chisel gasket remover worked great. Spray it on and wait 5-15 minutes. Not sure how it will react with mag and aluminum.
I will look to see if I can find some.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That *s-word'll eat the powder or paint off, has methelene chloride in it. AKA paint stripper.

So be careful how you apply it and wash it off well after the fact.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I clean alot of aluminum engine parts at work that are sealed with silicon and anerobic sealer. I knock the big chunks off with a razor and use light pressure with a small fine wire brush. The brushes I get are wooden handled and slightly larger than a toothbrush. It scrapes the sealant off and leaves no marks on the sealing surfaces.
The brush works better than scraping the whole surface for me.

Tbrown

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That *s-word'll eat the powder or paint off, has methelene chloride in it. AKA paint stripper.

So be careful how you apply it and wash it off well after the fact.
Yes, it is paint stripper

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Razor blade to get big chunks off. Back drag with a super scraper to get down to clean metal.

I made this video a while ago, it may be of interest here.

The super scraper is AWESOME.

I use one for tough stuff on old AG equipment and the like. A better scraper I've yet to find.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The super scraper is AWESOME.

I use one for tough stuff on old AG equipment and the like. A better scraper I've yet to find.

I agree!

Last time I checked they are still made in Cedar Rapids about 20 minutes from me, second generation running the business. I've been to the guys shop to get one warranted, he's got a nice Silvey 510 I tried to get him to part with.

I've been using them since 2000 when I started at the machine shop, like I said I think I bought that one in '02-03.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little update on this. I pulled my 346 apart today to make a few changes and remembered the discussion about gasket remover. Well... I didn't have any of that but I do have paint stripper. It works pretty damn good. Would've worked even better if I had patience. Lol

You can see it lifting the 518 just like it would paint. I still did a little scraping but it was way easier.

One other thing to note, I use the surface prep spray on the case side. Most if not all of the 518 stays on the cylinder. I don't know if that's good or bad but I've never had any leakage issues.
0a93d5509a2b48789421355191a8c0db.jpg