Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

Chineeseium ms361 build

Discussion in 'Sub-forum for these Rice Burner 660 builds' started by Larry B, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Larry B

Larry B Well-Known OPE Member

Just finished a ms361 kit from HL supply. I had so much fun with the 660 kit decided to build another chainsaw I don't really need. All went together pretty well except for the tank vent. No way it would work. Had to take it apart and modify it so now it works. I put a big bore kit on it with no base gasket. Got .015 squish and 195psi compression. Had to drill out the compression release some to get it to work right. Stuck a 24" bar on it and buried it in a 30" ash stump. I must say I am impressed with it. Waiting on a bigger carb. When I put it on going to gut the muffler. Running 32:1 red armor @ 13500 rpm to break it in. Still seems to be a little rich at 13500.

2. van462

van462 Active OPE Member

I have built the Hutzl 361 kit. Same issue with the tank valve. Replaced and the compression relief, mine failed and several other builders have had the cap come off and it drops the pin into the cylinder. Mine failed during a pull start vs it running. What carb are you thinking about?

Solo Rex and MustangMike like this.
  3. Larry B

You can put a ms390 carb on with a little modification. If you drill out the hole on the side of the compression release it will stop it from closing so fast it pops the cap off. Had to do it on my big bore 660 and the big bore 361.

Solo Rex likes this.
  4. Larry B

just another hack with a hacksaw
    20190112_120325_001.jpg 20190112_121257.jpg 20190112_122011.jpg 20190112_125739.jpg still only single port and looks stock. Pretty much doubled the size of the hole the hot stuff comes out. Still waiting on the 390 carb. I wonder how much difference it will make?

5. markds2

markds2 Well-Known OPE Member

I've built two of these now....really nice smooth saws! One has gone to a land developer and the other to a firewood merchant and both are working very well. I put a Hyway top end and caber rings on both. The first one broke the rear upper rubber mount - replaced it with OEM and the second had a tank vent that wouldn't seal. Going to be very interesting to see how both these saws hold up in the current months!
    20190104_095340.jpg

6. MustangMike

MustangMike ONE OF THE GREATEST!

I think if an 039 carb fits, a 440 carb will work … a little bit better. I believe they interchange, and the 440 is a bit larger.

Solo Rex likes this.
  7. drf256

drf256 Dr. Richard Cranium (“RC” to Muh pals)

8. Larry B

I have a 390 carb and a 440 carb on the way (aftermarket). Going to see which one works best. The way it is now with the big bore kit and 195psi compression it blows my brother in law's 290 away and keeps up with another guys 044. Pulls a 25" bar with no problem.

9. MustangMike

Lot of problem AM 440 carbs out there right now. I have had the best luck with the ones DDave (Chainsaw Conservation Components) is selling, a Walbro carb made by ZAMA.

Solo Rex likes this.
  10. Larry B

I got the aftermarket 390 and 440 carbs. They are identical. I don't know if OEM are different sizes but the two I got are the same. I swapped one out with the stock one on the 361. Had to swap the top and bottom plates and the choke shaft. The throttle shaft in the new carb worked OK. Had to drill out the body for the impulse to work. Here is pics of the difference of the carbs. 20190118_104522.jpg and the choke side 20190118_105423.jpg saw fired right up and I tuned it to 13500. I don't really have a use for this saw. I just built it for fun and puzzle solving building it. Now I want to experiment with it to see what kind of bolt on mods you can do to hop it up. I need to find some wood to test this thing with.

11. MustangMike

I don't own one, but they are well regarded … light, powerful and smooth (spring AV).

I'll bet it makes a great all around saw.

Solo Rex likes this.
  12. Solo Rex

Solo Rex Well-Known OPE Member

Is the big bore kit from farmertech?
    I have ordered 2+2 of them, but they all lacks a good amount of plating. I might try one out anyway to see how it runs...

Best regards

13. Larry B

Yes, it is a farmertec kit. The plating on the squish band was not that great but the walls were fine.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    Solo Rex likes this.
  14. MustangMike

I like the New West BB kits for the 440s. Not sure if they make them for 361, but HL Supply sells them for 440s. They don't specify New West, but if you look at the part #s you can figure it out. I think their plating is OK, and their rings and pistons are also good to go.

Solo Rex likes this.
  15. MustangMike

Sorry, did not see one for the 361 in their site.

Solo Rex likes this.
  16. Solo Rex

Solo Rex Well-Known OPE Member

Ok, thank you!
    I think i will try one of the FTs and see how i runs, and if the vibrations is not too bad i might replate it, or see if i can find something else.

MustangMike likes this.