Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
11:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
and actually look at what the file is doing

“The file is not a magic wand you just wave over the saw...”

I have a smarta** response when people say things like, 'GRINDERS RUIN CHAINS!': usually, something like, "No, PEOPLE with grinders ruin chains.' Then offer to let them lose a bet if they don't think that I can ruin a chain with a file. 'WELL THAT'S NOT HOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE A FILE!' Followed by, 'Some people don't know how to use a grinder.'

Then I lay a file near the chainsaw and state something like, 'Well, the saw must be sharper now!", moving it closer and closer, until the file is now leaning against the chain:'WOW! It must be REALLY sharp now!'

People sharpen chains. Files, grinders, Dremel tools, etc., are just the tools that we use. If we know what we are trying to achieve: what the finished cutters look like, we should be able to use any tools or method to get there. Granted that each person will develop skill, and preferences, for one method over others.

Chesire Cat and Alice.png

If you don't know where you are trying to go, it does not matter which road you take.

Philbert

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking about this.

“The file is not a magic wand you just wave over the saw...”
There are so many that think it is. There are also many that can and do sharpen a chain satisfactorily . Just far more that cannot in the general population and the shops that can grind a chain proper are almost as scarce as bird teeth, they just rush a chain through to get it out the door n get paid.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
9:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Flying_Dutchman

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of great points already made, great thread!

I’d add that most people are sharpening with dull files. They should be bought by the dozen and disposed of frequently.
This. Not only do sharp files make sharpening much easier, they leave a better cutting edge on the teeth.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Flying_Dutchman

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a smarta** response when people say things like, 'GRINDERS RUIN CHAINS!': usually, something like, "No, PEOPLE with grinders ruin chains.' Then offer to let them lose a bet if they don't think that I can ruin a chain with a file. 'WELL THAT'S NOT HOW YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE A FILE!' Followed by, 'Some people don't know how to use a grinder.'

Then I lay a file near the chainsaw and state something like, 'Well, the saw must be sharper now!", moving it closer and closer, until the file is now leaning against the chain:'WOW! It must be REALLY sharp now!'

People sharpen chains. Files, grinders, Dremel tools, etc., are just the tools that we use. If we know what we are trying to achieve: what the finished cutters look like, we should be able to use any tools or method to get there. Granted that each person will develop skill, and preferences, for one method over others.

View attachment 289163

If you don't know where you are trying to go, it does not matter which road you take.

Philbert
Yes! A grinder is just a tool. Someone local to me used to say grinders couldn't sharpen chains. Then they used a chain that I had ground. Now they bring me their 84" milling chains when they get dull... Maybe I should have just let them think grinders are bad. [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk