Chain oil test

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just had this come Up, might interest some. I bought Stihl bar oil last visit, wasn’t overly pricey. Re thinking that now.
Sorry not sure how to make this a link

I ran across that today, didn't take time to watch it. What was general consensus?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Must be a regional chain type store.

We have TSC and Fleet Farm with their own brands of oil, like Mystik and Loggers choice.
Mystik is my go-to at $7.99/gal. But my Fleet Farm has been out of stock a while. I always grab a case or 2 whenever I am in town.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mystik is my go-to at $7.99/gal. But my Fleet Farm has been out of stock a while. I always grab a case or 2 whenever I am in town.
Yes mine as well, Walmart is my backup source.

As previously mentioned Blain's Farm and Fleet has it on sale at $7.49 unfortunately for me their closest store is Rice Lake, Wi🥲

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes mine as well, Walmart is my backup source.

As stated Blaine Farm and Fleet has it on sale at $7.49 unfortunately for me their closest store is Rice Lake, Wi
Yeah closest Blaine’s to me is an hour away down in LaCrosse, WI. I rarely get down that way.

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I found some at the Brooklyn Park store this afternoon. I did leave a few. . . It was just a different rout while getting out of town.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found some at the Brooklyn Park store this afternoon. I did leave a few. . . It was just a different rout while getting out of town.
Did they price match Blain's Farm and Fleet? 😂

JRHAWK9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought 5 gallons of Mystic when it was on sale in late fall and that stuff is like water. Zero tack. :mad: I can't run my oiler wide open as it just drinks the thin stuff compared to the TSC I was running. I ran my 346 for a couple minutes after I replaced the sprocket nose on my Tsumura bar and I literally had bar oil running off the top of the bar right near where the oil is injected. It was dripping all over the floor and everything. I'm used to the old TSC stuff, it was thick and poured out like molasses when cold and very stringy. I guess TSC has recently changed suppliers though and the new stuff is also like water and zero tack. So I've been looking for a good replacement for the older TSC stuff that I really liked. I bite the bullet and ordered some AMSOIL, as that's supposed to be very tacky, but at $25 a gallon it's not cheap.

So I'm going to be giving away the Mystic I have. It's useless to me. May work better in saws with weaker oilers. Yes I can turn my oilers down, but the lack of tack concerns me. I know some people use motor oil and they seem happy with it. Motor oil is probably pretty similar to the Mystic I have. The way I see it, there is a reason why they add tackifiers to bar oil.....or at least are supposed to anyway.

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice to hear him reassure that the cheap stuff is good to use!

I would like to hear from STIHL, Husqvarna, and ECHO: they might have some interesting comments and perspectives on their design / specifications / criteria, his test methods, etc.

I know that most people focus on lubricating the guide gar guide rails, but the chain companies emphasize the need to lubricate the center rivet / bearing.

Maybe different results if tested more than one tank of fuel?

Philbert

nbbt

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did they price match Blain's Farm and Fleet? 😂
Didn't ask this time. I did do a price match one time when at the Hudson store a couple of years ago. They said if a price match is from a store in the same state . . . That time Blaine was 3.99 and FF was 6.99. I left with a cart full that afternoon @3.99/gal.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice to hear him reassure that the cheap stuff is good to use!

I would like to hear from STIHL, Husqvarna, and ECHO: they might have some interesting comments and perspectives on their design / specifications / criteria, his test methods, etc.

I know that most people focus on lubricating the guide gar guide rails, but the chain companies emphasize the need to lubricate the center rivet / bearing.

Maybe different results if tested more than one tank of fuel?

Philbert
The oil he tested that the chain got loose quickly, and another oil too where the chain was hanging quite loose off the bottom of the bar are a indicator of poor rivet lubing.

We all know that a chain does not "stretch" per say!
It is the wear on the rivet shafts and rivet holes that ad chain length.

Last edited: