Carbon removal?

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How does everyone remove carbon deposits from piston/cylinder? This is the worst one I’ve ever worked on? Normally it just scrapes off, but this stuff is ON there! I got the loose stuff, but wow this stuff is hard. I am going to have a discussion with the owner about mixing gas and tuning. I think he’s running straight oil!
Are there any solvents that eat carbon but not aluminum?
013FD946-95C0-4EBA-8F3B-71F041EDCF46.jpeg

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done what Chainsaw Jim has done many times, but if I have time I'll let it soak in diesel fuel a day or two then it'll usually wash out with a shot of degreaser and a hose. If it doesn't wash out it'll be a lot easier to scrape out. Goodluck

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Working at a GM dealership, I deal with all sorts of carbon issues. That also gets me a supply of extra GM top engine cleaner. It works fairly well for loosening it up.
Not sure if I have any before and after pics of valves I have used it on. Have to check.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember a few times when I wanted to clean the carbon out of some expansion chambers. I blew oxy/acetylene into them to get them hot, then shut off the acetylene and just let the oxygen do it's work. Do something like that outside, there is a lot of smoke.

Maybe something, like a butane torch, will cook the hard carbon to a brown ash so it flakes off easily.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look up OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) engine tuner/cleaner. I’ve got some, but haven’t tried it yet.

Apparently a 24 hour soak in it will make the carbon as soft as putty.

50/50 simple green branded purple power at 160* takes it nearly all off after a day. Makes it easy to scrape with a popsicle stick. That’s why I haven’t used the OMC.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look up OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) engine tuner/cleaner. I’ve got some, but haven’t tried it yet.

Apparently a 24 hour soak in it will make the carbon as soft as putty.

50/50 simple green branded purple power at 160* takes it nearly all off after a day. Makes it easy to scrape with a popsicle stick. That’s why I haven’t used the OMC.

The OMC/ BRP stuff works pretty well. Definitely doesn't take long to get the job done Mercury and Yamaha both have equal equivalent products. They all work fast.

And if you really want to keep things clean. Run some BRP carbon guard or Yamaha ring free in your mix. You won't ever see any build up again.

Steven

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run it through the ultrasonic for a couple cycles and that takes a lot out. Then I throw a piece of tape inside and bead blast it out. Makes quick work of that carbon!
4e3ca6035f3efe75f8acb5acc378325c.jpg
bb8e58859200e5ac5ef2a2e0ec339916.jpg

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I remember a few times when I wanted to clean the carbon out of some expansion chambers. I blew oxy/acetylene into them to get them hot, then shut off the acetylene and just let the oxygen do it's work. Do something like that outside, there is a lot of smoke.

Maybe something, like a butane torch, will cook the hard carbon to a brown ash so it flakes off easily.
Pipes are a beeotch. I found a pretty decent way by dumping the entire contents of a 1 gallon can of 5mm nuts and bolts into the header with some purple cleaner.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pipes are a beeotch. I found a pretty decent way by dumping the entire contents of a 1 gallon can of 5mm nuts and bolts into the header with some purple cleaner.

We always took the pipes from our sleds off and had the machine shop dunk them in their hot tank. Always came out looking new. To bad thats a no no for aluminum. But worked sweet for the pipes.

Steven

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you do a lot of carbon removal on aluminum parts, I use this stuff, works really fast.
The brand we get locally is called TAL Strip but this stuff works as well,

712B17tyAtL._SL1500_.jpg