Building a 290/390

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad I checked before I did it, actually thought is was a dumb question and almost did not ask!!!!! (I actually asked primarily to know if I should put it on the seals).

Now, for the next dumb question, I got the Dirko today, can that be used on everything, or it the 518 better on the 044/046???

Hey, I'm learnin, I'm learnin! Got my brother's TS400 back to him today, he is happier than a Pig in Sh**!!! I ripped the hole saw down to the seals trying to find the leak. Damn decomp was leaking so bad it would not hold pressure, could not find the leak till I replaced the vac/pressure tool with my bike pump ... then I found it!

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can use Dirko on everything.
Most builders prefer 518 due to the fact that the residual or excess sealant that gets "squished" inside the saw will be eventually rinsed by fuel mixture because its anarobic and doesn't cure like Dirko or Yamabond/Threebond.
What's the big deal?
Some say the bead of sealant can/will alter the flow of mix into the transfers.

Why doesn't 518/51813 or any anarobic sealer/thread locker harden inside the tube/bottle?
That's because they are designed to breath.
Yes....breathable plastic.

My old neighbor was a Loctite rep & guru.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, use it sparingly (thin coat) and you are fine???
I put a good coat of Yamabond on all mating surfaces (not the bearings) of a clamshell.
Including the OD of the seals and the seal pockets.
Usually spread it around with my finger.

I don't go crazy like John from TX ( LOL, hi John), but a good thin-ish coat on everything

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the old piston off and the new piston on, it is huge compared to the old one! Wish I knew how it used to run so I would know the difference, but I got it with a cooked P&C.

Now comes cleaning up all the filthy parts, YUK!!! Also have a tank vent and new stud on order.

Having trouble posting the pics, will try again later.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know why I can't post my pics here, message says they are "too large", but they are smaller than what I have posted in the past.

Was able to post them to the AS Scrounging thread if anyone wants to see them. Sorry for the reference, but don't know why this site is not letting me post them.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use Dirko on everything Mike. Never had an issue.

Guess I should try 518. I didn't think anything that could be washed away by mix would be safe to use.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use Dirko on everything Mike. Never had an issue.

Guess I should try 518. I didn't think anything that could be washed away by mix would be safe to use.

It hardens when it cannot get oxygen. So when two pieces are clamped, or threaded together, it hardens in the joint but residual stays uncured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep getting this message for pics that are only 5.06 MB, which is a size I used to be able to post. Anyone else having problems, or know what the heck is going on??? Thanks.

The uploaded file is too large for the server to process.

IMG_20160717_200740043_HDR.jpg

Rob Stafari

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I keep getting this message for pics that are only 5.06 MB, which is a size I used to be able to post. Anyone else having problems, or know what the heck is going on??? Thanks.

The uploaded file is too large for the server to process.

IMG_20160717_200740043_HDR.jpg

Started happening the other day. Resizing pictures to 60% seems to be working.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know how to do that, I'm lucky I can transfer them from the phone to the computer, then attach them!

Why would they change that??? The AS site still takes them, and they used to be the same??? Pain in the A$$!

CrufflerJJ

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
...Why would they change that???...

Uploading big honkin' files ends up taking loads of disk space on the website's server, and also results in added bandwidth (data) consumption when multiple people read/view/download the big honkin' files over...and over...and over. This ends up costing $$$$$ to the site's owners.

Plus, those of us out in the boonies, using wireless broadband (paying over $120/month for 20 gigs of data) appreciate smaller files.

And stuff...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like technology in reverse to me. Don't like that I can't post my pics.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm feeling under the weather today, so progressing very slowly, but I did put the piston in the cylinder, put Dirko on all the surfaces, and bolted the engine into the chassis.

I will tell you that next time I use an AM cylinder, I will make sure the threads are clean before I put sealer on the engine. Ended up putting locktite on just for lubrication, an working the bolts back & forth until they punched through the case.

Need to take a break, but will continue cleaning & assembly later.