Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Loctite 242.
Been using it for years.
I went to the store to get some recently and they also had 243, which is supposed to be an improved version.

quattro.pilot

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
every single bolt, gets some flavor of thread locking compound when I reassemble a saw.... be it purple, blue, or red (high temp) strength. best insurance to keep everything tight, saws experience so much vibration.

gorilla

OPE Member
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
never used locktite, blue, or anything, ..no, I lie, I DID once use a compound on something that did shake loose occasionally, I asked the guy who maintains my car .. oily John ,, he said use a bit of your sisters nail varnish as a thread lock, so I did, AND IT HAS NEVER EVER SHAKEN LOOSE AGAIN.

GMB74

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The solvent in the loctite will attack some kinds of plastic causing it to soften or crack.
Loctite doesn't seem to work on plastic anyhow.
If you have a screw going into plastic that loosens up, dab some RTV silicone on the threads.
Or else it's stripped out. That's a whole different deal.

jacktheripper

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been a big fan of the orange stuff. It's between blue and red. I almost never use red because you won't get that crap off without heat and muscle. Orange is good for things that you really don't want to back out, but you want to be able to access too. Like flywheel nuts.