black bear hunting

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been hunten bar fur 15 years here in the Idaho panhandle, have yet to anchor one though. Most guys use dogs and or bait here, but I'm cheap, as I'm just a stalker type of Hunter.
I usually get close to bar when hiking into a cut block, wee hrs of the morning, that's why I bring extra toilet paper when sawing now lol!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Been hunten bar fur 15 years here in the Idaho panhandle, have yet to anchor one though. Most guys use dogs and or bait here, but I'm cheap, as I'm just a stalker type of Hunter.
I usually get close to bar when hiking into a cut block, wee hrs of the morning, that's why I bring extra toilet paper when sawing now lol!

I totally get how that works. If I want to see monster bucks standing still within shooting distance I fire up the tractor and go bush hogging. Seen a humongous 10 pointer yesterday evening as a matter of fact, he will be on the other side of the moon two weeks from now.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

do you carry anything just in case when you got the toilet paper out

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Legend around here is use a Propne valve & small tank (like on a Coleman stove) & let the Propane leak slowly...
Supposedly the Bears will come to the smell.
I've never tried it.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Legend around here is use a Propne valve & small tank (like on a Coleman stove) & let the Propane leak slowly...
Supposedly the Bears will come to the smell.
I've never tried it.
Old pastry goods, sweets and fruits are what gets used around here. Or they have to out runs dogs, some turn around and take dogs apart.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope, when working I just keep my saw on half choke after allready being warmed up at the truck. Out just hiking I pack a 44 special
I do same lol. Always wondered how I’d really fare in a situation where a bear attacks, I figure it’s all in the first move if you miss or he swipe it down you’re done. Get it dogged in right on his shoulder though might do it

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do same lol. Always wondered how I’d really fare in a situation where a bear attacks, I figure it’s all in the first move if you miss or he swipe it down you’re done. Get it dogged in right on his shoulder though might do it
Friend of mine camped out deep on the Buffalo River had a ANGRY LARGE BEAR come into his camp early AM. one morning...
Madder than hell...

He started imitating a barking dog...

It worked, angry Big Boy found a way to bow out!

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
10:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Friend of mine camped out deep on the Buffalo River had a ANGRY LARGE BEAR come into his camp early AM. one morning...
Madder than hell...

He started imitating a barking dog...

It worked, angry Big Boy found a way to bow out!
They don’t like noise for sure. I’m mostly counting on a saw to scare them away anyway rather than fight them. Haven’t had no problems far I keep noisey when walking to let them vacate before I arrive because they are EVERYWHERE out here

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They don’t like noise for sure. I’m mostly counting on a saw to scare them away anyway rather than fight them. Haven’t had no problems far I keep noisey when walking to let them vacate before I arrive because they are EVERYWHERE out here

No telling how close you have been to a bear & didnt know it...

The Indians used to say, a deer can hear a leaf fall, a Turkey can see a leaf fall...

A bear can smell a leaf fall...