bigger carburetor for chinese chainsaw / Komatsu Zenoah clone

Stefanseiner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
meanwhile I did some modifications on a cheap chinese 52cc saw I bought on eBay before christmas
Tuning_52cc_Kettensaege_China_Weiss_Rot_Chainsaw_5200_noname_Baumkrallen_felling_hounds_23.jpg

works done so far:
1. changed the orig. dual port cylinder to the better quad port version (higher agility, higher rpm at stock possible, higher torque)
2. Muffler mod (drilled the internal diffusor with bigger 16mm hole, bigger outlet ports with 15mm)
3. thinner gasket seal 0,15mm (original is 0,50mm)
4. paper air filter with ported intake
5. bigger carburator from an 372XP (with 3d-printed manifold to fit it)

left the dualport version, right the quad port
chinesische_Kettensaege_Zylinder_Dualport_Quadport_Vergleich.jpg

muffler mod, here without the paint
Tuning_52cc_Kettensaege_China_Weiss_Rot_Chainsaw_5200_noname_Muffler-Mod_30.jpg

widened air filter intake
Tuning_52cc_Kettensaege_China_Weiss_Rot_Chainsaw_5200_noname_Papier_Luftfilter_02.jpg

Tuning_52cc_Kettensaege_China_Weiss_Rot_Chainsaw_5200_noname_Papier_Luftfilter_06.jpg

I made the base gasket out of 0,15mm gasket paper
Tuning_52cc_Kettensaege_China_Weiss_Rot_Chainsaw_5200_noname_Zylinderfussdichtung_base_gasket_04.jpg

modified 372xp carb. It's a little hard to tune at the chinese chainsaw, I have to raise the idle screw at maximum so the engine will not die when letting the throttle go after full speed
52cc_Tuning_Porting_Vergaser_372XP_Kettensaege_06.jpg

side-gapped spark plug
Tuning_52cc_Kettensaege_China_Weiss_Rot_Chainsaw_5200_noname_Zuendkerze_side_gapping_02.jpg

just for fun: adapting some 372XP felling hounds to the chinese saw
Tuning_52cc_Kettensaege_China_Weiss_Rot_Chainsaw_5200_noname_Baumkrallen_felling_hounds_16.jpg

and I will try to have the look of the Holzfforma Pro for my cheap chinese saw by foiling some parts with carbon look foil
chinesische_Kettensaege_52cc_5200_tuning_porting_Carbonlook_2d_folieren_20.jpg

but honestly I am not happy with this work and maybe I will try to do this again with hydro dipping but this is new for me too.

I did some cuts at the same wood and stopped the time. The timings are for:
1. stock
2. cylinder change + muffler + base gasket + paper air filter
3. carburator + spark plug
52cc_Tuning_Porting_Vergaser_372XP_Kettensaege_10.jpg

actually I am working on porting the cylinder.
Because this is my very first try I used the "old" dual port cylinder, What I've done:
-widened the intake (just left and right, no timing changes in high / depth)
- widened the exhaust outlet (just left and right, no timing changes in high / depth)
- widened the transfers
- polishing the exhaust outlet
chinesische_Kettensaege_52cc_5200_tuning_porting_Zylinder_free_porten_31.jpg

chinesische_Kettensaege_52cc_5200_tuning_porting_Zylinder_free_porten_25.jpg

yesterday I tried the cylinder in the wood but the cutting times are getting worse (38sec instead of 35sec before).
I guess it's because I did some mistakes while porting by slipping away with the dremel and hitting the cylinder coating.
chinesische_Kettensaege_52cc_5200_tuning_porting_Zylinder_free_porten_16.jpg

Or because I was not able to do a better carb tuning. The cutting felt like the saw wanted more fuel and I tried to adjust the carb more rich but then the engine will die after full power.
What do you think?

Next try will be to port the good quadport cylinder and be more careful with the dremel in particular when working with the rotating direction,
but I would also like to figure out what's the problem with my first porting job at the dual port cylinder

Last edited:

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could never get the dual port jugs to perform as well as the quad port one do stock. It’s pretty crazy how what stone pellet think would be too big of a carb for this saw makes a way bigger difference than anything else.

Stefanseiner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
you have ported the dual ports as well?
There is a guy on Youtube at UK which is porting these chinese saws very high and he swears on the dual ports but I am not sure he ever tested out the quad ports. But I think what he saying is right: the transfers of the quad are significant smaller then the dualport because of the devidier. Thats the reasson why I tried very hard to widen the transfers at the quadport top end.

If the weather will be good I maybe can test the ported quad cylinder later this day.

And yes the bigger carb makes a huge difference, even at the small 49,3cc cylinder which is as big as the original and therefor the original carb should be right.
But I guess the difference of more power will increase with the bigger 62cc engine.

This will be my next step when I have done all of my testings and mistakes on this saw, I will go further to my good saw, a Greencut GS680X which comes with the 48mm piston / 34mm crank shaft. And a very rare dualport cylinder (which is already very strong at stock, just 0.27.56 seconds at the same tree as above, but with 3/8" full chisel).
At Aliexpress, eBay and Amazon I only can find the 62cc cylinder with quad ports but I will give it a try