Best substitute for bar and chain oil

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi [emoji1310]

Am wondering do you use any alternative for the original bar oil !! Like the vegetable oil for an example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Am new with chainsaws, so am looking for historical experience [emoji4][emoji4]

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
9:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am new with chainsaws, so am looking for historical experience [emoji4][emoji4]

Unless you want to be regularly buying new bars, I would stick with bar & chain oil. I have had guys bring in saws that were running drain oil, and their bars are usually toast. Even the off-brand bar & chain oils have additives to keep the oil from slinging off.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New, CLEAN 30 weight, non-detergent, motor oil (sorry, US, SAE description; not sure what you call that in Egypt!). Used motor oil contains contaminants that can damage your oil pump, etc.

Some people use vegetable oils, but they can harden / polymerize in the saw, causing problems. If you go that route, be sure to drain the vegetable oil before storing the saw for any length of time, and flush some regular bar and chain oil through to clean the passages, etc.

Philbert

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
New, CLEAN 30 weight, non-detergent, motor oil (sorry, US, SAE description; not sure what you call that in Egypt!). Used motor oil contains contaminants that can damage your oil pump, etc.

Some people use vegetable oils, but they can harden / polymerize in the saw, causing problems. If you go that route, be sure to drain the vegetable oil before storing the saw for any length of time, and flush some regular bar and chain oil through to clean the passages, etc.

Philbert

[emoji4] we have all kind of motor oils , Mobil, shell , total , liqui moly etc.
They comes in many grades 5W 30

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I used synthetic gear lube for years.

1942016263776cdd0ed44bc3c4dd7792.jpg

I have this around

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup it’s for my wife automatic transmission car [emoji2363][emoji2363]

If you can get bar oil, any bar oil, use that. If not, I had good luck with Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube for years. I'm not a fire wood cutter but it was recommended to me buy a former supervisor / diesel mechanic that used it.

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you can get bar oil, any bar oil, use that. If not, I had good luck with Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube for years. I'm not a fire wood cutter but it was recommended to me buy a former supervisor / diesel mechanic that used it.

Unfortunately we don’t have bar oil around as chain sawing is not that popular for consumers [emoji85]. Sure we have Mobil 1 oil for motors and auto transmission, yet you need it to be normal transmission. Right ?!

Egg Shooter

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unfortunately we don’t have bar oil around as chain sawing is not that popular for consumers [emoji85]. Sure we have Mobil 1 oil for motors and auto transmission, yet you need it to be normal transmission. Right ?!

Gear oil like what is in the rear axle. 85w90, 85w140 ect.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

A member used to give us a dozen gallons or more of gear oil. Wherever he worked went through a lot of it. I think he added a tackifier (STP oil treatment maybe). At the time, we could have gotten a truck load if we wanted it. Good stuff. As good, if not better than any bar oil IMO, not that I could tell the difference, lol.

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gear oil like what is in the rear axle. 85w90, 85w140 ect.

A member used to give us a dozen gallons or more of gear oil. Wherever he worked went through a lot of it. I think he added a tackifier (STP oil treatment maybe). At the time, we could have gotten a truck load if we wanted it. Good stuff. As good, if not better than any bar oil IMO, not that I could tell the difference, lol.

Lovely smell, too.

I'd recommend ordering in some actual bar oil or using something more benign like heavy mineral oil.

wesamswailem

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lovely smell, too.

I'd recommend ordering in some actual bar oil or using something more benign like heavy mineral oil.

Ordering oil online to be shipped to Egypt will be a pain in the saw [emoji16] not financially but the process

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. No. and no again. But when I do it's always Champaca White Essential oil with and oiler mod.