Best raker gauge?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
6:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Husqvarna sharpening tool with gauge puts the rakers too low. Just wondering if there's a better option out there. Lately I've been stopping short of filing down to the gauge but then I get into uniformity problems sometimes. Is the Oregon raker gauge better?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess I need to start experimenting with raker height then measure it when I get the feel I like, then learn to eyeball it from there. Picked up an Oregon gauge on the way home today and it will take the rakers even lower than they are now.

Husqvarna roller thingamajig:
IMG_0467.JPG

Oregon doohicky:

IMG_0466.JPG

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of guys like the new pferd stihl file guide haven't tried it but these cheapy foresters do a good job just kind of unwieldy.41iciLgNGDL._SY400_.jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna roller thingamajig:
Oregon doohicky:
Those are both 'progressive' depth gauge tools. They change the depth gauge offset amount as the cutter wears back.

You might prefer a more traditional, fixed offset gauge, like the one in 2manyhounds photo, a few posts above. These are available in 0.025, 0.30, and 0.35 offsets- maybe more.

Philbert

Last edited:

2manyhounds

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:56 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Those are both 'progressive' depth gauge tools. They change the depth gauge off set amount as the cutter wears back.

You might prefer a more traditional, fixed offset gauge, like the one in 2manyhounds photo, a few posts above. These are available in 0.025, 0.30, and 0.35 offsets- maybe more.

Philbert
Over the course over a few years they can get a bit deep, but by that time you can "feel" how much your taking with a stroke or two, I generally round out a new chain and take 1 stroke on the rakers. Then find the worst tooth to start next time it needs it 1 stroke on the rakers for every 10 to 12 strokes with the round file keeps things cutting better than most. Use sharp files works best. By the way that's a 6 inch flat on an old screwdriver handle

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are both 'progressive' depth gauge tools. They change the depth gauge off set amount as the cutter wears back.

Philbert
I just started this every fourth sharpening i always handfile or useca husky roller just bought some they were so cheap 15.00 they do pretty good for what they are.