Best raker gauge?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Husky stand-alone depth gauge tools are progressive style gauges like the ones on the combo roller guides (and the Carlton File-o-Plate) with both a soft and hard slot for more or less aggressive raker heights depending on your cutting conditions. That's all I use now after fumbling around with the fixed gauges which don't necessarily accommodate the correct relationship between the cutter length/height and the raker, but rather just go for a "measured" height which isn't always the desired result.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool. I have never seen one. Thanks for the photos.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a good demonstration here a couple minutes in. And if you want to learn how to free hand file your chains, this guy has a few good vids on the subject and will have you doing it yourself in no time.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I see the progressive gauges mentioned frequently, as well as the 6* theory. Seems to me like the progressive gauge would leave rakers comparatively higher as the tooth gets filed back further. Whereas the 6* method would force you to file them lower as the cutter is filed further away from the raker. What am I missing?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About page 18 of that Carton PDF it explains a lot.

The File-O-Plate® rests on the leading edge of the cutter and allows you to accurately file depth gauge according to the height of the cutter. As the tooth gets shorter and lower in height, the File-O-Plate® sets farther down onto the cutter and more of the depth gauge protrudes through the slot. The Carlton File-O-Plate® compensates for the difference needed in depth gauge settings from approximately .027" to .045" depending on the height of the cutter. Faithfully maintaining depth gauges with a Carlton File-O-Plate® makes Carlton Saw Chain cut 100% efficiently throughout its life.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am surprised that the rakers on the race chains that we see allow chain to cut so fast. Nothing progressive on the race chain rakers either. Just a thin pop up piece. [emoji2369]

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am surprised that the rakers on the race chains that we see allow chain to cut so fast. Nothing progressive on the race chain rakers either. Just a thin pop up piece. [emoji2369]
Small rakers less interferensen. And you usually have bigger rim on the saw, 9 pin or bigger. Thats wy its cuts faster.