High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Bending heavy duty fireplace grate legs?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Studs,
Need some feedback/advice on how to make this fireplace grate fit into my current fireplace. I'm a tad on the frugal side. After looking at the stout cast iron grates online for north of $80 plus I decided to make this one work.
Basically it will work if I can get the back legs bent in about an inch on both sides!
The right leg is bent out about 3/4 of an inch more than the left.
Here are the specs:
Front - 27 1/2 inches
Back - 24 1/4
Depth - 15
Here are some pics. I have no welding torch or vise grip, but I do have a 12 lb. sledgehammer that may do the trick.
Any ideas?20191027_015858.jpg 20191027_015908.jpg20191027_015927.jpg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take @mdavlee 's advice, heat the legs well prior to bending!

If that is genuine heat/fire resistant steel You don't want to try bend it cold.
I had the interesting experience trying to do that once, the oval shaped bar ended up cracking at the bend.

Nice grate!
I should consider making one for my cast iron fireplace, then again it works just fine without one.
Those are turkey oak embers, excellent firewood.

DSC09614.JPG

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take @mdavlee 's advice, heat the legs well prior to bending!

If that is genuine heat/fire resistant steel You don't want to try bend it cold.
I had the interesting experience trying to do that once, the oval shaped bar ended up cracking at the bend.

Nice grate!
I should consider making one for my cast iron fireplace, then again it works just fine without one.
Those are turkey oak embers, excellent firewood.

View attachment 204955
Thanks!
Great council indeed.
That ember bed looks crazy!:campeon:
BTW...are those cast iron fireplace andirons?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That would be what I would do if you don’t want to buy new tools
Yeah, I was looking at some cheap can operated torches and some handheld propane rechargeable torches that the Chefs use for their food...just didn't know if that would throw enough heat.:idea:
Lost as a goose in high wind on this kinda stuff!:hmmm:
51iNwwKfxgL._AC_SL1309_.jpg

615R9QqC6CL._AC_SL1182_.jpg

blacksmith

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I was looking at some cheap can operated torches and some handheld propane rechargeable torches that the Chefs use for their food...just didn't know if that would throw enough heat.:idea:
Lost as a goose in high wind on this kinda stuff!:hmmm:
51iNwwKfxgL._AC_SL1309_.jpg

615R9QqC6CL._AC_SL1182_.jpg

I don't think that will get it hot enough. You need more of an oxy/acet torch. Hot it hot enough that it's glowing. The best would that you have a vise that you can clamp the grate in then you can use a pipe wrench or adjustable wrench to tweak the legs as needed after it's all heated up. This way it will keep the welds from breaking as long as the welds are good.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that will get it hot enough. You need more of an oxy/acet torch. Hot it hot enough that it's glowing. The best would that you have a vise that you can clamp the grate in then you can use a pipe wrench or adjustable wrench to tweak the legs as needed after it's all heated up. This way it will keep the welds from breaking as long as the welds are good.
Thanks Blacksmith!
Hmm...the old vice grip is a goner, but I do have a, "Paul Bunyan" type neighbor who stands about 6'10 and goes about 450 lbs and has hands like a backhoe bucket!
He probably could hold the opposite end with welding gloves...maybe....lol
I've seen the man literally swat embers around in his smoker with his his bare paws!!
Dude use to get drunk for the sole purpose of fighting 5-6 cops...until they blasted him in the left hoof!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks!
Great council indeed.
That ember bed looks crazy!:campeon:
BTW...are those cast iron fireplace andirons?
My cast iron fireplace does not feature andirons, air inlet is from the sides left and right.
What You see is an door guard which prevents firewood to fall onto the doors and out when opened.
Technically the whole fireplace is cast iron, with steel mounting bolts and nuts, and my own design four corner stainless steel reinforcements.
Whatever fireplace part You see in that picture is cast iron, the thing is about 30-35 years old.

Seasoned turkey oak makes excellent long burning firewood.
A knotty or big piece coals great when choked down and gives off heat all night long.

In regards to heating steel, use bricks to accumulate and reflect the heat of a propane/butane torch and You can get the steel orange colored hot.
It may take a while though considering You are also heating up the bricks.
My dad does this all the time when brazing copper and brass.
We only have a propane torch.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
1:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bonfire with charcoal and BFH.
A hairdryer and piece of pipe will help this game.

Case closed

@CrystalRiver1
He ain't wrong^^^... l forged my own fire place tools for the syrup evaporator in my wood boiler. Works in a pinch and easier than digging out the torches.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He ain't wrong^^^... l forged my own fire place tools for the syrup evaporator in my wood boiler. Works in a pinch and easier than digging out the torches.
Yep, I can see it.
ManBeast suggested I just load up the barrel smoker with wood & charcoal covering the legs of the grate and let it heat up in there an hour or so.
I'd have to dig out my old vise & steel pipe to hold and bend the legs into desired place.