outdoor potbelly fireplace

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my mate is bit of a crafty fella. i have been doing some milling for him, and he turns those slabs into tables and the like.
now he had an idea to make an outdoor fireplace of some description and sort, cut , ground and welded this baby up.

its 2 truck steel rims, which had the guts cut out, sitting on a car rim. oxy cut some breathing holes and made up a lid and flue and here it is.. it had a few mods along the way to make it work as it should be this is the final product. the steel rims are quite thick, i would say 1/4" thick. the lid is 3/8" and the flue a bit under 1/4".
the big saucer is the top of an old patio heater turned upside down, to catch any ash and embers as well as reflect some heat back up.

as you can see it did have a flue in the middle of the lid at one stage which was a crap idea and it was too small in dia as well.

it needed a way to control the fire within and we came up with a simple butterfly operation.

and as you can see she burns bloody hot! enough to get nearly the whole thing glowing a nice orange/red glow.

to say my mate is wrapped with the finally out come would be an understatement :)

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice Vince, what a way to deal with some stuff that would otherwise be scrap. Could probably sit a pot on top or hotplate for a feed too.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice Vince, what a way to deal with some stuff that would otherwise be scrap. Could probably sit a pot on top or hotplate for a feed too.

yeah for sure could do that. its all the same as a wood fired stove really. the great thing with this unit it being so thick it will last for years and still radiates heat for a while once the fire dies down.

streem26

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well done )
Is there anyone who doesn’t like relaxing around the fire pit? Probably there is, but I do not know such a person. Fire is my element, and it drags me like a fish to the water, like a moth to the light )) There was always one problem with sitting around it though,
We add several hammocks like http://jonsguide.org/best-top-portable-hammock-reviews/and now it's our favorite place for relax. Next spring want to add roof also