Bar oil shoot-out on Project Farm

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my not so scientific bar oil test I seemed to be going through a lot of bars, getting less than a year out of stihl 241 bars, 84dl husqvarna bars and not very long on 2511t echo bars and 16" stihl 200t bars. I had ran stihll orange oil for years, switched to tsc brand and I believe in my mind I got more cutting out of the bars. since the tsc oill went from 5 to 10 dollars a gallon and the harvest king is now 6.99 at atwoods i've been using it for over a year. I believe in my mind it is better lol...

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my not so scientific bar oil test I seemed to be going through a lot of bars, getting less than a year out of stihl 241 bars, 84dl husqvarna bars and not very long on 2511t echo bars and 16" stihl 200t bars. I had ran stihll orange oil for years, switched to tsc brand and I believe in my mind I got more cutting out of the bars. since the tsc oill went from 5 to 10 dollars a gallon and the harvest king is now 6.99 at atwoods i've been using it for over a year. I believe in my mind it is better lol...
Try canola ;)

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May be a dumb question, but what’s wrong with filtered used motor oil and a tackifier?

Used Canola Cut with used motor to inhibit any microorganism growth?

Does anyone used tackifier? If yes, which brand?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
May be a dumb question, but what’s wrong with filtered used motor oil and a tackifier?

Here’s my take on this: although you can filter out physical contamination from used oil, you cannot remove the sulfuric acid which is a byproduct of a gasoline engine. And that is certainly not something I would want, even in small doses, sitting in my saw, oil pump, and bars/chains.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you on bar maintenance? Replaceable tips or solid bars? Bars should last a long, long time with proper dressing and cleaning.

The only bars I consistently burnt through quickly were the Oregon Versa-Cut bars. The laminate-layers would separate and ultimately split or crack.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you on bar maintenance? Replaceable tips or solid bars? Bars should last a long, long time with proper dressing and cleaning.

The only bars I consistently burnt through quickly were the Oregon Versa-Cut bars. The laminate-layers would separate and ultimately split or crack.
This is completely relative to each individual’s cutting situation - weather, type of wood, cleanliness of wood, and frequency of use. For example, my Father In Law is a firewood cutter and his bars last 4-5 years. I’m lucky if I get through an entire logging season without wearing 1 out (3 months). I take care of my equipment, but my saws see WAY more mileage on the bar and chain than his do.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is completely relative to each individual’s cutting situation - weather, type of wood, cleanliness of wood, and frequency of use. For example, my Father In Law is a firewood cutter and his bars last 4-5 years. I’m lucky if I get through an entire logging season without wearing 1 out (3 months). I take care of my equipment, but my saws see WAY more mileage on the bar and chain than his do.
That's totally fair.

But I still have to ask. Replaceable tips or solid bars? That alone makes the world of difference.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's totally fair.

But I still have to ask. Replaceable tips or solid bars? That alone makes the world of difference.
both mine and his are replaceable sprocket bars. He always run Stihl bars. I run Stihl, Tsumura, GB, and have a Forester or 2 around as well.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s my take on this: although you can filter out physical contamination from used oil, you cannot remove the sulfuric acid which is a byproduct of a gasoline engine. And that is certainly not something I would want, even in small doses, sitting in my saw, oil pump, and bars/chains.
While acid is a byproduct of combustion, very few people get even close to exceeding the TAN/TBN in modern gasoline engines with regular oil changes.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use used tractor gear oil from my dad's equipment fleet, it leaves an oily residue on 36" chains days after use and it's plenty tacky. The stuff I have is all clean, it doesn't really smell that much, and it's a great way to "recycle" that stuff. Nasty black used diesel oil, on the other hand, I don't really wanna put through my saw. Mebbe someday I'll try it in my MS250.

Last edited:

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My dad had a barrel with a screen above the bottom and a tap at the bottom, above the screen was a bunch of layers of drywall about a foot thick. He would dump used oil in the barrel and use what came out of the tap for chain oil.
This was in the 70's and we lived in the bush on a secondary highway and had a highway lodge that used about 50 cords of wood a year for heat

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been scraping cars for the last couple years to clear out the yard behind my shop
I have a 5 gallon pail going all the time where clean oil gets put in for bar oil.
It's a mixture of ATF, power steering fluid, and diff oil. I have about 50 gallons now.
I heat my shop with waste oil, and gas in a Reznor furnace.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
While acid is a byproduct of combustion, very few people get even close to exceeding the TAN/TBN in modern gasoline engines with regular oil changes.
For me it’s less about it being hard on the equipment and more about me not wanting to breath in those byproducts in the aerosolized mist that gets flung off the bar.