Live Action
Local time
9:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd have liked to hade seen vegetable oil tested
And used motor oil.
Stihl silver bottle is biodegradable vegetable base, i thought that’s the one he used or did he use the orange bottle woodcutter oil ?

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any more I find the most important thing with bar oil is how easy it cleans up. Worst I’ve seen is part hydrogenated vegetable oil. It burns into the metal parts of the saw and is damn near impossible to scrub off. We’ve also spilled oil on driveways and flagstones more times than I want to admit. There’s a big difference in how much of a mark different brands leave after scrubbing with degreaser. I should make my own video…
I’ve see plugged oilers on older saws that sat from vegetable oil. Had to heat the pump up to remove the plug that reminded me of jelled diesel

Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use used tractor gear oil from my dad's equipment fleet, it leaves an oily residue on 36" chains days after use and it's plenty tacky. The stuff I have is all clean, it doesn't really smell that much, and it's a great way to "recycle" that stuff. Nasty black used diesel oil, on the other hand, I don't really wanna put through my saw. Mebbe someday I'll try it in my MS250.
Actually if you smell the harvest king bar oil it almost smells like it has some 80-90 blended in.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had the same experience with versa-cut bars, they bend really easy too.
My logger buddy had Oregon pay him to test the Stihl bars against theirs a few years ago. He said the first batch of oregons wore out immediately must have had temper issues.
The next ones were better but not great so when he needed to ship the Oregon bar back to them to look he used the Stihl sleeve. Haha they contacted him and asked it that was some kind of a slam. He told them take it however you want. Has had a Stihl bar on his huskies since and now even has a 362c and 500i. No idea who talked him into those

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought the tests were interesting. One thing the old crusty saw guys say is, "Buy the cheapest bar oil you can find and turn the oiler up all the way." Seems they're right.
I'm a STIHL guy and bought STIHL bar oil UNTIL the Mystik oil sale. This weekend I ran tanks of their engine oil and perfumed the woodlands with it (smells like drugs to me...) and turned up the oiler to FULL and let'er rip. Brilliant. Thank you old crusty b@stards for the advice.