Bar and Chain Opinions

Timmyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently had a 50 inch diameter white oak tree uproot during a wind storm and demolish my cottage when it landed on it. Another white oak about 37 inches in diameter also fell but missed the cottage.

The saw I will be using to buck up the trees is a Makita 6401 with the NWP big bore kit. I'm looking for opinions on a bar and chain setup that will be the most efficient. I'm currently running a 24 inch bar with full chisel chain but think a longer bar will make the job go faster. I'm leaning toward a 28 inch bar so I can get through the wood cutting in from both sides, but don't know if full chisel or skip tooth chain would be best. Also thought about a 32 inch bar with skip tooth, but that may be overkill and I don't want to damage the saw.

The wood I normally deal with is 24 inches or less, so any setup I get would pretty much be for this specific job.

I tried to get the insurance company to buy me a 395, 'cause bigger is always better, but they said no, so I'll be sticking with the Makita and not getting another saw.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
28 will be fine with big bore kit. If you don't have them make sure you have some plastic wedges to keep you free when cutting stuff that big. Do you have any friends that mill or have a band mill? You could get some nice boards potentially.

Timmyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, Jamestown PA bordering Pymatuning State Park. Some of their trees are in my yard too.
I would love to get it milled and have a 1 solid piece 4 foot wide dining table. Made some inquiries, but most area mills will not take anything that size. I'm working with an Amish contractor and he may have some Amish contacts that could do it.

Would you recommend full chisel or skip chain?

Timmyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I'll probably try the skip chain. The cottage is in northwestern PA about an hour south of Lake Erie.

I'm not in any real hurry to get the wood cut up since I don't currently have a place there to use it for heat or to stay at while I'm there. Probably work on it in the spring when the cottage is being demolished and construction on the replacement starts. It will probably take 2 years for the oak to season once cut and split, but the 6 cherry trees will be ready quicker.

Timmyd

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I appreciate the offer. I'll have to see how things go when I start cutting up the trees.