Autotune saws and fuel quality

wildroamer

Winning!
Local time
11:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been burning the canned stuff from Husqvarna that got me my 4 yr warranty. I'm curious how it will run when I end up mixing my own in the spring. Thinking about switching to 40:1 instead of the usual 50:1 I have been doing.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 87 most of the time. If it's my own saws I run VP94 since they sit longer.

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
1:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
All our saws are stock except for 1x 540 1x 576 and 1x 661c, boss just bought a drum of Pheonix 25-1 instead of the usual stihl hp ultra, none of the boys can tune a saw and they're not really knowledgeable about oil either. I've not been there for two weeks so it'll be interesting to see what's what. The huskies will be fine as most of them were waiting for repairs anyway....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

RonJitsu

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My 550XP started stalling and running like crap on pump 93 E10, but ran great on the VP 94 premix fuel. I couldnt keep paying $27 a gallon for that stuff so I started looking around for other sources of non-ethanol gas. The only thing I found was 100LL AVGAS at the local airport. It calculates out to 96 octane and has no ethanol. I've been running it now for a couple months and the 550XP runs great on it. I have run about 15-20 tanks through it so far... The AVGAS burns cooler than regular gas so it does seem to take a little longer to warm up during the cold winter days. Anyone else run AVGAS?

MasterMech

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wish we had better grades of non E fuel here, 87 is the highest I've found.
Your local HD/Lowes likely has 93+ non-E on the shelf. Not real economical to run in any large quantity but a can or two for testing?

metallic

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My 550XP started stalling and running like crap on pump 93 E10, but ran great on the VP 94 premix fuel. I couldnt keep paying $27 a gallon for that stuff so I started looking around for other sources of non-ethanol gas. The only thing I found was 100LL AVGAS at the local airport. It calculates out to 96 octane and has no ethanol. I've been running it now for a couple months and the 550XP runs great on it. I have run about 15-20 tanks through it so far... The AVGAS burns cooler than regular gas so it does seem to take a little longer to warm up during the cold winter days. Anyone else run AVGAS?

I've run 100LL avgas because I used to drive right by a small airport on my commute. It's nice stuff. I was using it in older, non-autotune saws, and needed to re-tune all of them to compensate for the lack of ethanol since all my saws were tuned for 87 octane e10 pump gas. Don't work at that place anymore so I am back to pump gas.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run it in all my 2t. Last time I paid $6.8 a gallon. Don't care much for the lead but its my only option other vp.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only 87 octane ethanol free at pumps here. But can get avgas, wondering about using that. Or blending pump 87 E-free with avgas.

NorthcentralYooper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Only 87 octane ethanol free at pumps here. But can get avgas, wondering about using that. Or blending pump 87 E-free with avgas.

E free gas is better then nothing but if you read the manual on newer saws anyway like husqvarna jonsered is says 87 octane min , however if you are using it for limbing of or heavy cutting it says higher octane is recommended. Not sure about mixing but I'm thinking it would work

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E free gas is better then nothing but if you read the manual on newer saws anyway like husqvarna jonsered is says 87 octane min , however if you are using it for limbing of or heavy cutting it says higher octane is recommended. Not sure about mixing but I'm thinking it would work

Yeah, if anyone know if it's okay to mix avgas with 87 octane e-free gasoline, chime in!

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran my 550 yesterday. Ran the husqvarna premixed fuel. I did add more oil to make it closer to 40:1. Funny how husqvarna recommend high octane fuel. Anyhow, partly I'm not familiar with the autotune, but the jury is out on this saw. Maybe there is a issue, maybe it's the characteristics of it. At times I would like the saw richer on the topend. Three times it loaded up in the cut when I would lean on it, I had to lift out of the cut to clear the motor out.
image.jpeg

I was cutting redoak. And I run it hard.

stihlman441

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting reading
So much so i pulled the muff from a ported 441 (changed from a dual port to a single port) with only around 20 ltrs of fuel used and no carbon.
Did the same on a ported 461 with 186 hrs on it and a little dis colouring but can still see shiny piston top.
Did the same on a ported 241 with many many hrs on it same.
Fuel i use is BP 95 RON E free and Jakmax fully synthetic oil at 40:1

A100HVA

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been keeping my saw gas in 55 gal drum since I started selling saws. when the problems with the new gas began walking in the door,i noticed the water in the bottom of 55 gal drum had increased dramatically. so I switched to av gas. I run all my saws,splitter,atv,chipper,washer with it no more problems & every new product walks out the door with it in it's tank.it's up to the owner to run what he want's to. the water problem at bottom of 55 gal drum is very little as compared to up the street gas station gas. the gas I have on hand for my sales of new product and my own use usually takes around a year to use,so you can amagine the quality of the "bottom of the barrel"

Last edited:

Stackowood

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am really wanting to know more how Autotune works , it says based on fuel quality as one of the features. .though it doesn't have a knok sensor or o2 sensor. I'm assuming it reads purely off Rpms. I like the higher octane fuel because the ability to keep knock at bay. It also has a cooling effect as well. When I did fuel map tuning on Subarus you could advance the timing and actually run leaner with higher octane.

I am no expert on Autotune, but the system looks at RPM, carb temp, throttle opening, run time, and number of starts. I suppose it advances or retards timing somewhere in the RPM range, but as you noted it doesn't have any sensors for knock, exh temp, O2, etc. I'm not seeing any way that the system would compensate for 89 octane vs. 93 octane, etc.

Attachments

• Auto tune screens.pdf
    291.8 KB · Views: 9

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am no expert on Autotune, but the system looks at RPM, carb temp, throttle opening, run time, and number of starts. I suppose it advances or retards timing somewhere in the RPM range, but as you noted it doesn't have any sensors for knock, exh temp, O2, etc. I'm not seeing any way that the system would compensate for 89 octane vs. 93 octane, etc.

Your octane will change the rpms. It will then have to tune itself to get the desired rpm back.