Asking for advice

winkangrin

Active OPE Member
Local time
2:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the add! I have a question about a saw that I am considering purchasing. It’s a Craftsman 358.36130, 18” 40cc. Not too much info about this model out there, from what I can tell, it dates from about 2003. Here’s the thing: it’s brand new. Never had fuel in it. The seller says it was found when they cleaned out the in-laws storage unit, the thing still has the paper band wrapped around the chain brake. It’s use will be for cleaning up storm damage when that occurs at my home in the middle of the woods (it always happens and my driveway goes about 3/4 of a mile through hardwoods) My main concerns with this era of Craftsman saws is that some have good reputations and others are pure junk. It’s not one of the incredipull models. The carbs are readily available, coil too. I’m thinking it would serve the purpose well, but sitting idle for 18 years without having any fluids in it kind of worries me. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

msellers

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would at minimum replace the fuelline and filter. A carb kit would probably be a good idea also. I have one that sat also, I suspect it is going to need crank seals sometime soon. However, will cross that bridge when I get there.

Mike

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the add! I have a question about a saw that I am considering purchasing. It’s a Craftsman 358.36130, 18” 40cc. Not too much info about this model out there, from what I can tell, it dates from about 2003. Here’s the thing: it’s brand new. Never had fuel in it. The seller says it was found when they cleaned out the in-laws storage unit, the thing still has the paper band wrapped around the chain brake. It’s use will be for cleaning up storm damage when that occurs at my home in the middle of the woods (it always happens and my driveway goes about 3/4 of a mile through hardwoods) My main concerns with this era of Craftsman saws is that some have good reputations and others are pure junk. It’s not one of the incredipull models. The carbs are readily available, coil too. I’m thinking it would serve the purpose well, but sitting idle for 18 years without having any fluids in it kind of worries me. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
My best advise, would be to buy a pro saw. Mainly Stihl or husky. Theirs others too. But a pro saw will be there when you need it. Especially if a tree is blocking a roadway. If cost is an issue, plenty of good used saw deals, around here. Those types of craftsmans etc, just weren't built the same.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
1:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe that is basically a black, green or red poulan wild thing.

If it were a occasional use thing and cheap...... I'd be in. Figure it might need fuel lines but heck if it was around $50-75 it would be a handy little unit.

Now if you had a more frequent need. I'd buy something a little higher end. That saw will be working above it's paygrade on anything over 12-16" especially hardwood.

Steven

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This thread seems pessimistic at this point, so I thought I would instill some optimism. I had a similar experience with a Craftsman 42/18 that I can share. The original owner who knew nothing about chain saws handed me this saw and said, "I've had it with this saw. It won't start and my arm is worn out trying. You keep it."

I took it to my shop and discovered a loose spark plug. After I tightened that plug up and tried fresh fuel, it started on the third pull and ran perfectly. I still have it and start it now and then just to be sure it runs, and it always does:
upload_2022-7-18_12-41-12.jpeg
Not a bad saw at all and fine for most homeowners..

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can check the fuel line quality, but I would fuel it up and start cutting. Why replace anything if you don't need to? It may run fine like @Wood Doctor says his did.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel it up and give it a whirl! My uncle has cut a lot of hedge with these units through the years and they've held up surprisingly well. If it come to line and carb kit time give it a little timing bump and muffler mod. Since it's new just check that the bolts don't rattle out after a few uses and maybe invest in a better chain. And these babies like to leak bar oil while setting to. But have fun and enjoy and keep it away from the corn juice.

nickw

A Legend in my own mind
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey there, this is Nick and I'm looking to find Hinerman, Thomas, please call me
@580-917-2687. I'm having a problem getting in touch with the VA. Thanks

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey there, this is Nick and I'm looking to find Hinerman, Thomas, please call me
@580-917-2687. I'm having a problem getting in touch with the VA. Thanks
I will call tomorrow when I am at my desk...

winkangrin

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d like to thank everyone for their responses. Because my needs are first and foremost for a saw that will start when I need it to. It’s only purpose is to clean up after storm damage which is almost inevitable along the lengthy rural driveway of my rental home. This may surprise some, but this is replacing a Stihl MS 170 which has less than two hours total use on it. On top of the fact that it only has a 14” bar on it, the main reason I need backup is that it is impossible to start. I bought it last summer and it was great for general pruning and taking care of small limbs that fell during last winters ice storm- exactly twice. When I purchased the Harry Homeowner Stihl, I did so after growing up using larger Stihls- my last one was a Farm Boss, and it was extremely reliable. I’ve cut many cords of firewood and never gave me one iota of trouble. Don’t burn wood anymore, sold the Farm Boss about ten years ago after moving. So tonight I pulled the trigger on a new old stock Craftsman from 2003. I paid the guy $80 and I guess I could send in the warranty card lol. I’ll tear into the MS170 when I get time and figure out why it won’t start-it’s got spark, compression, and burning Stihl brand premix fuel.

Attachments

• E1E8D9D9-6421-435F-9910-F1E8DC70F1C3.jpeg
    E1E8D9D9-6421-435F-9910-F1E8DC70F1C3.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 14
  • D3796196-36DB-4805-ACD5-D20EC70EDA20.jpeg
    D3796196-36DB-4805-ACD5-D20EC70EDA20.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 13

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel issues with old saws that have a primer/purge bulb are common. That bulb is 19 years old and they crack notoriously. When that happens, they have to be replaced. Fuel lines harden up and fuel filters clog up. Do all that replacement first before you replace the carb. Good Luck!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 90's - 00's Poulans and store brand equivalents are actually quite good for cheap plastic saws, and more capable than people give them credit for. Put a good chain on it (Oregon 91PXL is my fave) and tune the carb right and they will surprise you. I ran the snot out of a Poulan 2150 that I bought new and my wife's uncle still uses it to this day. New parts are cheap and plentiful too.