High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Any AV nerds around...?

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Have a situation I'm trying to figure out. Could use some help from someone who knows. I'd prefer to not buy a bunch of parts, to find out they don't work for my application.

Here's the scenario:

I have a detached garage. I ran some coax underground to it, & put a jack on the wall for tv. Same as every other connection in my house. If push comes to shove, I'll pay for another satellite box. However, I'd like not to pay for another box if possible.

The back of my satellite box (directv) in my office area, has a set of rca jacks coming out, clearly stating audio/video out. I'm already using the hdmi out, for the tv in my office area.

1. Can I use the rca outs, & hdmi outs simultaneously...?

2. If so, what's the best way to make the connection from satt box, to coax..? RF modulator..?

3. If so, how do I make the connection in the garage, from coax to garage tv..? Another RF modulator..? Some sort of adapter that goes from coax to hdmi..?

Help please..!

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My box has coax out of the back. I have 2 tvs paid for or 2 DVRS running out of the same box. One tv uses UHF remote to change the tv. The signal for that tv runs from coax that i think is spkit off the return signal from th box to my bedroom. I split that coax and have it to 2 tvs. They can watch at the same time but only the same station. I just carry my remote between the 2 rooms. My second dvr signal run off the box from a coax from it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My box has coax out of the back. I have 2 tvs paid for or 2 DVRS running out of the same box. One tv uses UHF remote to change the tv. The signal for that tv runs from coax that i think is spkit off the return signal from th box to my bedroom. I split that coax and have it to 2 tvs. They can watch at the same time but only the same station. I just carry my remote between the 2 rooms. My second dvr signal run off the box from a coax from it.

Cool.

My Satt box only has hdmi, & rca outs. Also, most of the TV's I've been looking at don't even have coax inputs, only hdmi, & rca jacks. So, that's why I'm trying to figure it out with the scenario I explained above.

That's a slick set up you've got but, don't think it'd work in my scenario.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cool.

My Satt box only has hdmi, & rca outs. Also, most of the TV's I've been looking at don't even have coax inputs, only hdmi, & rca jacks. So, that's why I'm trying to figure it out with the scenario I explained above.

That's a slick set up you've got but, don't think it'd work in my scenario.
Yea, I have old school stuff. I got a big old school 32" tv in my tv room. And in my bedroom I have a smart tv actually. It's a 32" Roku tv we bought a few years back. Now your saying that I think I have to buy a cord that plugs to the coax that splits to RCA cords to plug into tv? Had an old flat screen from the first years of them, it had coax plug on it it was like 3 inches thick type flat screen. The second tv that's on my bedroom signal is in my son's ply room beside kitchen. One of the 19"inchers you could buy for $100 bucks 20 years ago. And of corse it's coax. Haha. I love tv and watch a ton of it, but I am not a "tv" guy that has to have the biggest, smartest, thinnest tv? I don't even care about HD. I just want to watch my reality (read alaska) tv shows is all!

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if both HDMI and the composite outputs work at the same time. You can get a couple composite to coax modulators and that will probably work if TV has composite inputs but quality will not be HD quality. You can get a line double to help but you will still have red blooming and poor resolution issues. You would have better luck with an HDMI splitter at the sat box and then use a couple HDMI to coax converters at each end. Not as cheap as the composite modulators but you get HD quality. Google DVB-T converter. Basically you are doing a sports bar video setup.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not sure if both HDMI and the composite outputs work at the same time. You can get a couple composite to coax modulators and that will probably work if TV has composite inputs but quality will not be HD quality. You can get a line double to help but you will still have red blooming and poor resolution issues. You would have better luck with an HDMI splitter at the sat box and then use a couple HDMI to coax converters at each end. Not as cheap as the composite modulators but you get HD quality. Google DVB-T converter. Basically you are doing a sports bar video setup.
Something like this...?

https://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-coax.html

I saw a lot

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

X2

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, that should work just be aware that if you split the output from the direct TV box will drop the signal strength by half but since you are using powered adapters should be fine. Will just shorten the distance you can run the coax. The coax should be RG6 too.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, that should work just be aware that if you split the output from the direct TV box will drop the signal strength by half but since you are using powered adapters should be fine. Will just shorten the distance you can run the coax. The coax should be RG6 too.
Cool man. I'm gonna try you're recommendation. RG6 is what I used. I'll post my results :cool:

Thank You..!

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One more thing to remember. HDMI is a handshake protocol and not a broadcast like all earlier protocols. When using an HDMI splitter whichever device the the source unit sees first and "handshakes" with it will only send HDCP (protected) content to that unit. Commercial DVDs, some movies on cable and direct TV, Blu-Ray. HDMI sucks for distribution to multiple devices

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Larry B

Works perfectly. For info purposes, my underground coax is 200'.

enhance

The TV's picture is actually crystal clear. The blurriness in my photo is my fault.

The only regret I have is, not putting the rca, & aux wires in the wall like everything else. I have some old Kenwood speakers on the walls, on the other side of the garage. Sounds great.

As a side, this tv sure looks bigger in person...lol. It's a 50". As I get older, my tv needs sure get bigger. It a wonder how any of us survived the 13", & 20" TV's of the 70's....hahaha. Crazy thing is, I still have a 20" RCA that I got in '91. It still works but, has nowhere near the picture these new ones do. Also, it was $500 in '91. The one in my photo was nearly half that o_O

Come to think of it, I still have my Grandmothers "piece of furniture tv". The kind we used to put aluminum foil on the antennae to improve reception, & I was the remote. Well, for the 5 channels we got anyways.

Thanks again for the tip Larry. Again, works like a champ. Couldn't be happier. :cool:

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Larry B

enhance

The TV's picture is actually crystal clear. The blurriness in my photo is my fault.

The only regret I have is, not putting the rca, & aux wires in the wall like everything else. I have some old Kenwood speakers on the walls, on the other side of the garage. Sounds great.

As a side, this tv sure looks bigger in person...lol. It's a 50". As I get older, my tv needs sure get bigger. It a wonder how any of us survived the 13", & 20" TV's of the 70's....hahaha. Crazy thing is, I still have a 20" RCA that I got in '91. It still works but, has nowhere near the picture these new ones do. Also, it was $500 in '91. The one in my photo was nearly half that o_O

Come to think of it, I still have my Grandmothers "piece of furniture tv". The kind we used to put aluminum foil on the antennae to improve reception, & I was the remote. Well, for the 5 channels we got anyways.

Thanks again for the tip Larry. Again, works like a champ. Couldn't be happier. :cool:
I grew up with my tv in our upstairs room being one of those furniture TVs. When I was a toddler it was the main tv. I'm only 36!

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I grew up with my tv in our upstairs room being one of those furniture TVs. When I was a toddler it was the main tv. I'm only 36!

Same type of tv was the only tv in my home till I was about 10 (1980). We got a 20" color tv as a gift from my Grandmother. WOW. Color tv was a HUGE improvement :cool:

Although the real game changer was Christmas 1982. My Grandmother bought my Mother & I both, 13" color TV's that had REMOTE CONTROLS...!!! HOLY COW. That was huge at the time..hahahaha. I'll never forget turning it off, & on, volume up, & down, & just giggling.

My mother still has that 13" tv. It's in her little craft area she tinkers in.

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Larry B

enhance

You are very welcome sir