High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Al's Navy Bean soup.

alleyyooper

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Couldn't find the recipe section so will post here. Problem is after a bit it will be lost forever in the jungle.

In 1907 the US senate passed a resolution that bean soup would be on the menu every day in the senate dinning room when ever they were in session.

My self I want pure unadulterated Navy bean soup, Just for the two of us.

I start with two large cups of navy beans dry, sort thru them to remove any stone/pebbles and bad beans. This doesn't seem to be the problem as much today, since they do not pull and windrow beans to be picked up by the combine off the ground.

Once sorted place in a pot cover with water place a cover on the pot and let set 24 hours. I do not salt the water.

I like to start the soaking in the morning so I can make the soup for dinner (lunch to city slickers.) the next day.

Next day drain the beans in a colander allow all the water to drain off.

Place drained beans back in the pot cover with water about 2 inches above the beans.

Set the heat to medium on the range and place covered pot on burner. Allow to cook about a hour, beans should start to be on the tender side.

Remove pot from range drain once again in the colander let all the water drain off.
This breaks down the sugars that cause the gas many people experience.

Place the beans back in the pot once again cover with water about 2 inches above the beans let them simmer on medium heat.

Here is where you add in the ham hocks, smoked or not, chopped ham,Bacon or what ever meat you want with your bean soup. Ham, Ham hocks can be salty.

This is where after about a 1/2 hour of simmering I add seasoning to taste. Every one has different taste, Kare is also on a salt free diet for blood pressure.

This is where Ya’ll that who want a bunch of other things like onion, celery, potatoes, carrots and tomatoes add this stuff.

Let it all simmer another half hour and should be ready for dinner.

This is my version of a one pot bean soup.

If I am cooking for my self I will just add water the second final cook time finish off to get the 2 inches above with some pork broth and a couple table spoons of Liquid smoke.

This is just for me and a few special friends, Kare doesn’t like it that way.

:D Al