After market parts question

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a Husqvarna 345FR brushcutter 3 or 4 years ago and it wasn't cheap, something around $800. To use for trail-building. Somehow, the gear housing got a crack and a piece big as a nickel just broke and fell off. I only got a few hours of run time when this happened. They do sell this gear housing only but they also sell the entire gear assembly. This assembly is at the foot of the shaft and attaches to the blade. I can buy OEM gear housing for about $80 ($63+shipping) but I have no idea how I would get all the innards out of my gear assembly housing to put into the new one. But why would they sell the gear housing only unless it could be done! Anyone know how I would accomplish this? I took it to a dealer and the mechanic didn't know but I'm not sure how 'expert' this fellow is.

The entire gear assembly, which includes the gear housing, costs between $190 and $250 OEM from various sellers of OEM parts. I found an after market version (entire gear assembly) from a UK ebay seller, made in China for $92, a direct replica of the OEM gear assembly. This one, and it shows "129 sold" -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/142386684176?ul_noapp=true#rwid

Of course, I'd rather spend $75 for an OEM gear housing only and put all the innards in from my machine, but, again, I have no idea how to do that!

What do you think about after market on the entire gear assembly for $92 instead of buying OEM entire gear assembly for $190+? If I buy the entire gear assembly, I just bolt it on and it's done.

Here is an example of the entire gear head assembly -- https://powermowersales.com/502235201-Husqvarna-Gear-Head

Here is an example of the gear housing only -- https://www.ahupd.com/product.asp?i...3oDzycbUewbPYrEobNqEHS05GHW5XuyoaAgSEEALw_wcB

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Ronie. That appears to be OEM. It is from Lithuania. You guys realize that? I guess I would have Ebay protection. Although, I have, indeed, bought stuff from England, Hongkong, China in the past and have had no issues. I do like that OEM price!

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Ronie. That appears to be OEM. It is from Lithuania. You guys realize that? I guess I would have Ebay protection. Although, I have, indeed, bought stuff from England, Hongkong, China in the past and have had no issues. I do like that OEM price!
I didn't look to see where it would be shipped from. If I didn't need it quick, I'd buy it anyway.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought it from the Lithuania OEM seller. Thanks, because I never saw that on Ebay when I checked their site.

I still am curious if one could just buy the gear housing and somehow remove the innards from my original gear housing and put them into the new gear housing. If anyone knows, advise!

Lsf

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can disassemble it and replace worn / bad parts. I just replaced the bad bearings, grease. (another model )

I think there is some basic information in the repair manual.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could try taking the old one apart and then see how hard it would be to put it back together.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought it from the Lithuania OEM seller. Thanks, because I never saw that on Ebay when I checked their site.

I still am curious if one could just buy the gear housing and somehow remove the innards from my original gear housing and put them into the new gear housing. If anyone knows, advise!

I would seriously doubt that case would blow out for no apparent reason. Something inside must have let go.
Might have cost more to buy the busted pieces individually than the whole unit possibly. So you didn't necessarily make a bad move here.
I'd make sure that the new one you have is well lubricated prior to installation..