High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Adding A Reed Cage ?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Dave I think you missed your true calling as a writer.
Dave gets right to the heart of it. He not *f-wordin around when it comes to saw races. The BS is a thin veil to troll the competitors. They still bite. Plus he's a fine writer.

Diamond Daves got a new racer on da pipe.

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Second carb - bored out with a trickle of nitrous, set to pop open at 90% throttle :) No choke on carbs :)
Haven't think of that nitro fuel I used to use for my hobby RC small engines some 40 years ago, But It sounds very attractive to me too, it should be one of my choices, Dave.
As far the choke you see here, yep I an not going to use it.
Ignition set to retard until engine hits 4500 rpms and then advance quickly over a half second.
0.5 second interval... did not know what this means to the nitro-fuel system.
Several of the manufacturers of the program able ignitions offer lite weight flywheels as well.
Big saw with plenty of grunt doesn’t need the extra inertia of a flywheel ---------------Dave
That's a good point too Dave, I have been thinking about the possibility if I will be able to fabricate one with a better sirocco fan that creates higher air pressure. It must be a toil to make one from the begging...

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
------ I am going to fabricate a totally new one for this contraption, but only a question is if it goes good to her, ------Chy
I found a couple of nice reports on the proper design of sirocco fan and casing;
[Design and Analysis of Volute Casing: A Review]
http://proceedings.asmedigitalcollection.asme.org/proceeding.aspx?articleid=1694326

A little more complicated one here;
[Effect of Volute Shape and Impeller Outlet Angle on Performance of a Centrifugal pump]
https://www.researchgate.net/public...et_Angle_on_Performance_of_a_Centrifugal_pump

Hope at least one of these could help me out!

Chy

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Been off from this fun job for a week, this morning started it again with some aluminium brazing. Brazing a small fuel pipe.
The carb needs a 6.0mm fuel pipe at this tank side, but I do not have one in the size in my hand.
Fuel_Pipe_00.JPG

One in the left was the first attempt with a small failure though, lol.
Fuel_Pipe_02.JPG

Gave it some filing.
Fuel_Pipe_03.JPG

Seems it fits nicely.
Fuel_Pipe_04.JPG

Chy

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Get some time this morning to try out TIG on these aluminium parts.

Have been worried if my skill can manage welding 1.5mm thick alu sheet,
Fuel_tank_00.JPG
Hand made alu pipe is now welded on the tank wall.
Fuel_tank_01.JPG
Tank cap came from the McCulloch original.
This new tank needs a base plate to sit on, so applied one under the tank. Marked with a red circle.
Fuel_tank_03.JPG

The tanks will sit on it like this.
Fuel_tank_04.JPG

The original tank cap comes like this.
Fuel_tank_02.JPG

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Are both carbs sharing the same fuel outlet barb you welded on? They'll likely fight each other for flow.
Good morning Jim, I did not think of that point. I think it will go OK, but perhaps will need some accelerator to the tank, e.g. a positive pressure. Anyways your point is fun to try consideration Jim!
Chy

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
5:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Good morning Jim, I did not think of that point. I think it will go OK, but perhaps will need some accelerator to the tank, e.g. a positive pressure. Anyways your point is fun to try consideration Jim!
Chy
There's a part from pioneer chainsaw fuel tanks that might help if you end up needing another connector.Screenshot_20171230-144806.png

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There's a part from pioneer chainsaw fuel tanks that might help if you end up needing another connector.View attachment 104090
Thanks Jim, looks nice and seems it will do a nice job, wouldn't mind one for me/her, lol. Thinking of making one more and adding it to the tank in case she wants more fuel, for an insurance sake lol.

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
[Brazing with HTS-2000 aluminium solder]

Lately I sometimes thinks of a necessity to have skill of jointing a small alu parts to other bigger part of a saw, e.g. a small fuel pipe to a alu fuel tank, etc. But smaller parts are mostly consist of thinner walls of alu plate which does not like dull-hand of a novice welder like myself, lol.

So instead I got this material for brazing alu things. They say HTS-2000 solder does not require any flux, so this sounds somewhat nice to me too. Here are some;
HTS-2000_solder.JPG

The surface of these rods looks kind of rough compared to e.g. some standard TIG filler rods, looks like the electric solder being chilled in a half-cut small pipe after it got melted and poured in there with free hands. So at the first glance you may not believe this can do a nice job, lol.

Before.JPG
This is a small alu box for today's specimen, with 0.8mm thin walls. So this can be one of the examples that can not be done with a standard TIG machine. The walls are too thin to be welded with amperage larger than 20A, IMHO though.

After.JPG
Not so bad, the melted solder easily goes into the gaps and got flattened with a stainless brush.
Better use bigger air-propane torch.

Chy

Last edited:

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
[Brazing with HTS-2000 aluminium solder _2]

One more trial is on the small pipe of the alu fuel tank I posted the day before here.
fuel_pipe_02.JPG
In my latest TIG to this, the butt-joint part got affected a little so that the wall seemed it got damaged a little. Glad it got repaired easily.

Chy

Incidentally a before view is;
fuel_tank_10-jpg.104185

Last edited: