High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Adding A Reed Cage ?

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
1:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This was talked about briefly in the intake block thread. Has anybody messed with adding a reed cage to a saw ? I know some older saws had them, but I'm thinking more of a performance based valve from a small dirt bike. I found this one off of a 50cc Husqvarna , looks like it would be easy to fabricate around.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Husqvarna-C...ash=item46432bd168:g:gWAAAOSw14xWKADb&vxp=mtr

I have a Husqvarna 51 with a closed port 55 top end that might make a good platform for experimenting since it has that goofy plastic partition/intake thing.

Last edited:

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to a saw but have looked into adding to piston port bikes.size is a restriction on saws though.the one you have up would be a good start but would probably be sized more for a 85-100+cc saw due to carb and intake size on dirt bikes.
The kawasaki triple and suzuki guys i used to be around were maniacs when it came to adding reed cages.:eeeeek:

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's one.the reed cages are case induction.the intakes on the cylinders are blocked.
07.jpg
My friend John Aylor makes this kit
reeds3.jpg

I have one of these kits to go into my t500 unfortunately i havent had time to install it.:facepalm: Sorry Moo.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Interesting, am I correct in thinking that if a reed is added to the intake then the intake port could have as much duration as mechanically possible ? Because the reed would prevent spit back and the case compression would be against the reed, not the piston.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeap.i would think the only thing stopping full duration on the intake induction would possibly be weakening of the piston.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not to a saw but have looked into adding to piston port bikes.size is a restriction on saws though.the one you have up would be a good start but would probably be sized more for a 85-100+cc saw due to carb and intake size on dirt bikes.
The kawasaki triple and suzuki guys i used to be around were maniacs when it came to adding reed cages.:eeeeek:
So it looks like the little engines that use this cage came with either a 14mm carb on the Jr model or a 19mm on the Sr model.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey magic man check these out theyre affordable for experimentation.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Art Martin who seldom said much about that legiondary souped 090 he had from years ago once had a small comment about it on a site I no longer and will never post on again .

According what he had said that engine was built to use reed valves via the transfer ports .
I might add the ole boy also had an interesting design on a race chain .It was cutter-cutter space as oppossed to standard which is cutter space cutter .Fact I have pictures on my other computer if I can find them .
If anybody has an interest you might search the archives of A-site under D Babcock .That is unless they got deleted .

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, have to see if I can find some info.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adam Clarke put one on a 359. On the old race saw site. It was part of a built off against Brian Wright (tw). Beautiful work by Adam but didn't show well against Brian's saw.

It lead me to believe adding a reed wasn't a good plan

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here's one.the reed cages are case induction.the intakes on the cylinders are blocked.
View attachment 5993
My friend John Aylor makes this kit
reeds3.jpg

I have one of these kits to go into my t500 unfortunately i havent had time to install it.:facepalm: Sorry Moo.
Hello Jughead, thank you for sharing wonderful pics of the Kawasaki, love to see them. Wanting to fabricate one for my old McCulloch 795 with a sheet of carbon fiber. The purpose is to raise the rev velocity to 13000.
Thanks again.
Chy

chy_farm

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Found a couple of manifolds for old McCulloch nicely designed Bob,

Bobs_mod.jpg
My assumption is that HE put some best reed valves in this, but do not know if he put carbon or not...
Chy