High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

abused poulan question (answered...with tannerite)

bagpipingtrucker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
[emoji879][emoji879][emoji879][emoji879][emoji879][emoji879][emoji879][emoji879]

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

ktmtigger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pull the jug clean up the Piston , reassemble and run

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The cylinder does not look good on the exhaust side, it's scored pretty bad, and the ring noticeably sticks out a lot as it moves past the exhaust port. It did try to fire when I put some of that thick oil on the piston.

I got this from someone someone else knew. They said it was used once or twice, but wouldn't start anymore, and a repair shop put a new carb on it, but it still wouldn't start. I assumed low compression. I took the plug out and it was covered in a metallic grease, so I assumed bad scoring, and sure enough it was.

DSC03093 (800x532).jpg DSC03092 (1024x682).jpg

Last edited:

oldbitz

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sold as a McCulloch here in Aus. Looks like the usual homeowner type abuse, start it and rev its tits off while cold and throw a bit of stale E10 into the equation you have the perfect throw away.

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
giphy.gif

Yessss yessssss let the hate flow through it

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll try a quick timing advance, muffler mod, and see if I can rig up a way to dump nitro into the carb, if it will even fire up. I got a 20" Echo bar to fit without a clutch cover, so I'll have the chaps and even welding gloves on in case the chain comes off.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, in my rush to get it all done before it got dark, I didn't think to check the muffler for a restrictive baffle when I modified it. I didn't even take the muffler off for the mods. I richened the needle 5 turns, and rigged up exhaust to pressurize the gas tank to push unregulated nitro into the carb. No tuning, I'm just going for it, and hoping the nitro does it's job.

Anyway, here's the video. The gas line was still full of normal gas when it first started. I mixed up some roughly 45% nitro to run it on since I have limited 66% and it is expensive. I also used some gear lube to help the starting compression. The chain's a bit aggressive for 42cc's

I might take another shot at killing it. I think it cooked from no top cover to direct the airflow, not to mention the nitro. The fuel was boiling in the crank case after the first run.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This reminds me of my first chain saw that I bought in 1975 -- a Poulan XXV CounterVibe made in Shreveport, LA. I ran it for a year and then loaned it to a "friend" who straight gassed it. The dealer said, "Forget it. Buy another saw and don't loan it out to anyone." Back then, parts were expensive.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried to rebuild one five years ago that had been straight gassed. All was going well until I was tightening the cylinder bolts back down to secure the new top end. I heard a loud crack! The entire new cylinder split down the side like an egg shell.

So much for that operation. I said to myself, "Never again."

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not that one in the Pic. Gasp!

I must admit that I have brought back to life a few Wild Things, but when it comes to rebuilding the top ends, I walk away from them. The first thing I check for is their compression. If less than 100 psi., it's hardly worth fooling with them. I've already been stung by that bee.