I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what happened.

Got me a bar and chain today. Eventually got it on. Bar wouldn't fit. Had to slightly file the OEM Stihl bar. Odd. Took it to the garage to cookie up some 12 inch dead oak logs. Started up just fine. Idled about 30 seconds and hit the first log. Died half way threw.

Tore it down a bit and plug came out. Plug was clean as well as the inside the plug hole. Put it back together. It started back up.

Now, it would bog down and died. Sounded like starving for fuel. Took the fuel cap off. Everything looked fine. Pulled the cord. Started back up. Odd.....

Fuel tank vent was starting to make sence. Ran for a bit and bogged. Open fuel cap, put it back on and it ran fine for a small bit. Did this rotation for 5 minutes or so. Then. It took off and ran fine. I'm half way threw its first tank. This can't be part if the break in period.

Any of you run into something like this?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what happened.

Got me a bar and chain today. Eventually got it on. Bar wouldn't fit. Had to slightly file the OEM Stihl bar. Odd. Took it to the garage to cookie up some 12 inch dead oak logs. Started up just fine. Idled about 30 seconds and hit the first log. Died half way threw.

Tore it down a bit and plug came out. Plug was clean as well as the inside the plug hole. Put it back together. It started back up.

Now, it would bog down and died. Sounded like starving for fuel. Took the fuel cap off. Everything looked fine. Pulled the cord. Started back up. Odd.....

Fuel tank vent was starting to make sence. Ran for a bit and bogged. Open fuel cap, put it back on and it ran fine for a small bit. Did this rotation for 5 minutes or so. Then. It took off and ran fine. I'm half way threw its first tank. This can't be part if the break in period.

Yes
Remove the tank vent and get the lips of the duck bill valve inside to separate.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The problem is within the circle.
View attachment 170465
Anything on those are suspect. Cannibalize a known good saw until the issue goes away.
Bingo

Could be anything.

Check your piston to make sure those 30 seconds weren’t super lean and toasted it.

The problem can be tank vent or anywhere from the fuel filter to the cylinder intake spout.

The tank vents are notoriously bad. Make sure the valve inside opens. Try a quick run without a fuel filter. Check impulse line, though idling/starting might be bad if that was the culprit. Try another carb, the ones supplied are notoriously bad. Also try a new plug.

Just so many things can be bad. The 440 kits made us all nuts and the culprit was too long of an impulse barb bottoming out on the side of the impulse and causing intermittent blockage of the line bore.

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far the only thing going on is it was bogging down and dying after about 10 seconds or so until you crack the fuel tank. I'm going to start with the vent when I get off work.

Thanks for the idea's of what else I can look at. Much appreciate the constructive response.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So far the only thing going on is it was bogging down and dying after about 10 seconds or so until you crack the fuel tank. I'm going to start with the vent when I get off work.

Thanks for the idea's of what else I can look at. Much appreciate the constructive response.

That should get you to the next problem. Lol

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what happened.

Sounds like a bad tank vent. Pull the tank vent and if you have a vacum pump test it. If you haven't got a vacum tester you can just suck on it to see if it vents. The kits use a generic white vent that are dirt cheap or you can get a black OEM one for about $10. You can also pull the vent and just run the saw and see if it starves for fuel.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
UPDATE:

Took out the tank vent. And some transparent white plastics was in the bowl of the valve. Looked like plastic shavings from the lid that didnt quite make it off. It runs great now.

Now you know something. ;)