880 vs 3120

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:54 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've been putting off buying one of these great big things, and I can't put it off any longer. I need a saw for stumps and big timber. Probably never wear anything smaller than a 42", and a 60" when needed.
It may come down to who gives me a deal, but is there anything that should sway me either way?
I know the 3120 has a fixed high speed carb, but it has the oiler over ride which is nice. I think the Aussie versions of both saws have a slightly different spec (coil max rpm) to what you guys see in the states - but I'll know more soon.
It'll probably see Aussie hardwood most of the time.
I'll be keeping my 385, and while it's kinda handy that bars interchange with the 3120 - it isn't that relevant as the 385 pulls my 32" well enough anyway.

This isn't going to be a long drawn out thread, it's turned into a "need it by yesterday" problem.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say being a Stihl man through and through, I'd probably go 3120 with a carb set up from randy. It'll give you more versatility with the bars and like others have said your filter shouldn't clog as quickly.

The only other saw I might suggest is a nice 084 if you can get one, as the manual oiler override is useful.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bet an 880 air filter will be clogged way too fast with your freaking dusty Aussie hardwood
As much as it pains me to say being a Stihl man through and through, I'd probably go 3120 with a carb set up from randy. It'll give you more versatility with the bars and like others have said your filter shouldn't clog as quickly.

The only other saw I might suggest is a nice 084 if you can get one, as the manual oiler override is useful.
I don't think that the 3120 air filter setup is that special, certainly not like the air injection setup on a 390. I'm surprised that you have both mentioned it, is the 880 that bad?

It'll be a new saw purchase, an 084 isn't going to happen.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd probly go 880, but that's just cuz I'm more of a stihl guy.
I've only made a few cuts with a 3120, but the 880 just feels better in my hands.

Power wise I can't really say one is better than the other. I'm sure either would be fine in that department.

I'm sure it won't be long before Joe, (@Onan18) comes in here and tells me how crazy I am. :D

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that the 3120 air filter setup is that special, certainly not like the air injection setup on a 390. I'm surprised that you have both mentioned it, is the 880 that bad?

It'll be a new saw purchase, an 084 isn't going to happen.

It's the space between the carb box on most of the old Stihls (and the 461) which I think it's the principal cause of clogged filters (it's way better on the new units (261/441/362).

But you're right, there's no air injection on the 3120.

Maybe a good ported 395 will be enough for this kind of job?

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's the space between the carb box on most of the old Stihls (and the 461) which I think it's the principal cause of clogged filters (it's way better on the new units (261/441/362).

But you're right, there's no air injection on the 3120.

Maybe a good ported 395 will be enough for this kind of job?
Thanks. Yeah, I've thought about a 395, but I'll always have a 90cc saw, so the big saw might as well be a 120cc saw.
It's certainly a buy once and have it for 20 years saw.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd get the 880, for proper adjustable carb, side chain tensioner, and inboard clutch. But they are not that impressive stock like a well tuned 385xp would run. I know this is a 'needs' saw to do a specific task. They have a hefty msrp here in oz, so bringing one over from our friends in the USofA may be a good idea. I've seen some pretty good deals pop up in the post but when you need something NOW they tend not to appear. I will one day get a MS880 with a 361 unlimited coil ported by man with lil legs, he does them well he also mods the 3120xp carbs really stellar fitting a proper H jet. If I was in your position I'd buy what I could get the best deal on in mintish condition.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd probly go 880, but that's just cuz I'm more of a stihl guy.
I've only made a few cuts with a 3120, but the 880 just feels better in my hands.

Power wise I can't really say one is better than the other. I'm sure either would be fine in that department.

I'm sure it won't be long before Joe, (@Onan18) comes in here and tells me how crazy I am. :D

Honestly stock they are both pigs IMO. A 3120 will out oil a 880 which makes it a better long bar saw, and it takes less to wake up a 3120 than a 880 (272 coil, have the flywheel re broched, carb modded to be fully adjustable, and a muffler mod just because). But a 880 has more power potential, just takes a lot more work to get there.

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've run a stock 3120, and I had my 385 there at the same time. So I know what I'm getting myself in for.
I agree they are pigs, and expensive as all hell. They just do a job.

Thanks for all the comments, I think I'm back at the point I was originally - they are pretty close.
Husky dealer is weird, half the time he is fine, half the time I want to crawl over the bench and throttle him.
Stihl dealer is an absolute legend, a 7' tall walking encyclopaedia of everything stihl.
That'll probably be the point that finishes the deal.

pud

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
If your cutting a lot of big stumps with long run times forget the 880 man there murder on your hands and i actually think 3120's are one of the smoother saws ive used apart from the weight the a plesure to use , that funny gilled muffler outlet seems to keep the fumes out of your face also and is nice and quite , unfortunately there the worst filtering saw ive seen that lid just doesnt push down on the element hard enuff and dust goes straight through no grease or oil seems to stop it BUT u can buy a foam element from husqvarna that u can oil and stop all that they used to come in the box with the saw from memory , they do seem a bit hit and miss with the fixed main jet too a few ive used run noticebly rich

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately no. It's the reminder that I put off buying something I knew I would need until I was desperate and can't wait for it to be sent from the states.

This could be my bad english comprehension, but how much time do you have to wait for an US saw? The last saw I bought from Tony (the 3120 seller) was there in a little week.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a stock 880 mag and it is no slouch. I'm going out on a limb here to say I think the 880 performs better with 32:1 over 50:1. I have a video of each and I think it is noticeable.

50:1...

Here's 32:1, it's a multiple saw video so skip to 2:10..

I have no feedback for the 3120.