MCCULLOCH 610 Clutch Issues

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently picked up another 610 & got it in the mail today.I fueled it & after a couple of primes it was running nicely.It came with a puny 16 in.B&C which I quickly changed to a 20 in.I took it over the my wood pile to test it out & found that the chain was slipping.I figured the clutch was shot,so I took a clutch & drum off another saw I got a couple of months ago & put that on,I also replaced the cylinder jacket as the one on the saw was torn up.I ten took the saw back to the wood pile for another test run & it weas doing the same thing,only this time it was smoking.Now what are the chances that I'd have 2 bad clutches & drums?I ordered another used clutch & drum off Ebay to see if this will resolve the issue.If it doesn't,I'll need some input.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the oiler working? Those are a common weak point on those saws.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you tried to sand the inside of the drum and clutches?

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe a dumb question, but is the chain brake releasing fully? Could have oily sawdust caked in the linkage. My 1010S would start dragging if I didnt blow it out.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the saw up & running today after I put the 3rd clutch & drum on it from a 650.Apparently the clutch & drum were bad when I bought the saw.As I said earlier,the cylinder jacket was all torn up & I replaced that as long as I had the clutch off.The previous owner must not've known what was wrong with the saw & sold it.It runs beautifully & now it cuts nicely too.I just need to sharpen the chain.The chain brake that was on it was stripped of it's working parts so in essence it only had a clutch cover & no brake.I saw this when I bought the saw & I bought another working chain brake that was clean
Ed