572 or 462

Shawn39

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m heading into the city Tuesday or Wednesday to buy a bigger saw and it will be the 462 or 572 depending on what I think when at the saw shop. I have looked at them before and held them but not for long as they were tied to the shelf. This time they’re going to put a 24 bar on them so I can get a good feel for them.
It’s the same saw shop selling both models so the support doesn’t matter.
From what I have read the husky might be a bit more robust than the stihl and has more torque stock?
I know the stihl is 1.5 pounds lighter.
I find myself liking the look of husky saws but like the 1.5 pound saving of the stihl as I’m getting older and my back lets me know that as well. Lol.
So what all your options?
I tried to find someone close to me that might let me run them in wood first but no luck
I have talked to some old guys that use to have small logging operations and said they had better luck with husky then Stihl but that I’m sure was not the 572/462 days.
Thanks for all the help in advanced

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 572 because it was less expensive by several hundred dollars.
At the end of the day when my back is hurting, I don't care how nice the saw looks.
I have ran both Stihl and Huskies since the late 70s and still run both, my favorite one is the one that starts and has a sharp chain.
This past Saturday I ran a combo of two saws for 8hrs, Husk 592 and an Echo 2511 rear handle hows that for both ends of the spectstrum?:eek:

check out the "765 guys" on YT they do some fairly decent reviews of various saws including the 572 and 462.

Good luck whichever way you go as it will be like splitting hairs. IMHO

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
3:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the current new saw market stihl is considerably more money compared to husky.
The flip side is that for the last couple years husky parts supply has really sucked. Parts that used to take a few days to get are now sometimes taking weeks to months.
With that said I’d still be tempted to get the 572 and with the extra money saved buy a real nice light weight bar.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven’t put them side-by-side cutting in a while, but the old 462 was a little bit high strung and would outrun the 572. Probably where everyone heard that they were a little bit down on torque compared to the 572. The newer ones have been changed a little bit and I would say the two saws run nearly identical in wood

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t know if it’s the chain, saw, or me. If I were to close my eyes, I can’t tell much difference between my 572 and 500i. Don’t have a 462.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
between those two I would go 462. I had a 572 briefly and sold it and got a new 400 CM I really like the 400. reason I went that route is because in my lineup the 70 cc saw was the smallest, so I was looking for weight savings. I Flippin love the 400.

What other Saw do you have in your lineup? That would be a question. I would ask. Also intended use.

Shawn39

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
between those two I would go 462. I had a 572 briefly and sold it and got a new 400 CM I really like the 400. reason I went that route is because in my lineup the 70 cc saw was the smallest, so I was looking for weight savings. I Flippin love the 400.

What other Saw do you have in your lineup? That would be a question. I would ask. Also intended use.
Well I have an old pioneer farm saw 66cc with no chain brake. Lol
So I bought a Dolmar 5105 and man I love it. Light with 4hp.
But I cut to heat my house and that’s 4 cord a year at least. Then clearing my land and storm blow downs. I have wood now in my wood yard that is from 10-26 inches.
That’s why I feel the 562 isn’t big enough change in HP from my Dolmar. I want a gain in Hp more then .6 hp for spending over a grand on a saw.
The 400 would be okay but I want a 24 inch bar and have heard the 400 is at its oiling limit with a 24 inch bar.

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another thing I just thought of is that you could likely get a heated handle 572 and a light weight bar for close to the same price as a regular 462. Heated handles would be so nice to have especially with your location.

Shawn39

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don’t know if it’s the chain, saw, or me. If I were to close my eyes, I can’t tell much difference between my 572 and 500i. Don’t have a 462.
Another thing I just thought of is that you could likely get a heated handle 572 and a light weight bar for close to the same price as a regular 462. Heated handles would be so nice to have especially with your location.
My Dolmar has the heated handles and I never use them. So that isn’t a swaying detail for me. The 572 is a nice saw but heavy and not as nimble and that’s just in the store. Plus they have been having bearing issues and stuff with the 5 series. That could be fixed by now but when you read about 5 series the bearing issue always comes up. Make me a bit nervous

Shawn39

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being a mechanic for 25 years I have learned good tools are a must. So the cost is the cost. The 572 is 1200 and the 462 is 1400. Not a deal breaker.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
if service isnt a problem i would go with which one has the better track record of reliability. if you cut 4 cords a year and the weight difference is a concern as you get older. just get the lighter saw, and get a lightweight bar so as you age it doesnt become a safety concern by using a saw that is too heavy. fatigue is the biggest danger when running a saw.

Shawn39

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what did you buy? @Shawn39

I went in and got them to put a 24 inch bar on both saws and decided on the 462. So now I have to live with leaking caps I guess. Lol. Man that 462 has great throttle response though.

I would like to thank the people that took the time to reply with something informative. I really appreciate it.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to vote for 462 and that's what you bought, so, there! If it's 1.5 lbs lighter, that was my reasoning. Especially at my age, that matters. Hope it works well for ya, I got one, it's strong.