CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forget that the 555 is a small mount.
Pretty sure 'IF' you want you can swap the clutch drum off the 555(large spline) onto the 550(small spline) so you can try different chain combinations....like .404 on ya 550:eek: or 7pin .325 on your 555 instead of having to use a 9pin. But you can go the other way and run a 9 pin on your 550 too. I like playing with that sorta stuff. I dont mind the look of that J-red shroud, it kinda works.

CoreyB

Yep I am your neighborhood coffee man
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
By the picture I love the looks of the dark cover...
I think it make it look like a Real Brute!
But if the vents are needed....
Ya I am definitely back and forth on how it looks. The customer thinks it is neat so that is a plus. Lol I will cut out the venting tomorrow. But am interested in finding out why the inside has different barriers. @Spike60 do you know if there is a plus or negative to the channelling ?

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure 'IF' you want you can swap the clutch drum off the 555(large spline) onto the 550(small spline) so you can try different chain combinations....like .404 on ya 550:eek: or 7pin .325 on your 555 instead of having to use a 9pin. But you can go the other way and run a 9 pin on your 550 too. I like playing with that sorta stuff. I dont mind the look of that J-red shroud, it kinda works.

Will the oiler drive swap?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I'm really not sure what to say here. Hopefully nothing I'll have apologize for in the morning. :)

The gray just doesn't work. I actually think it would look OK if it was just black on orange without the gray in there. I did this on a 346 and it gives it a kind of Dolmar look. @Backtroller is on target with the orange clutch cover from a 545. Retail is only about $25 on those things, and it would make a big difference for this project. Not to mention the orange paint will still be there a week from now.

The channels in the top cover are there for support, not for air flow. The Jonny starter bulges out and the edge of the top cover rests on that bulge, not just on the case rib as on the Husky, so a little additional support was added. Similar difference on the 2260 and 562.

I hate when you guys come up with these ideas, cause now I'm thinking of one of my own. The gray case might look cool if it was surrounded on all sides by Jonsered plastic. Maybe yes or maybe no on painting the top to match the gray? Remember the old 621's and 80's had those silver tops? Hmmmm. a special edition large mount 2260. (or call it a 2262 and combine a 2260 and 2252 decal) Better idea than writing Red Max on it. :)

Last edited: