346xp carbs

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do y’all remember what the carb “upgrades where for the 346xp I remember reading about some of y’all changing them out for upgrades and better performance,but I can’t find the information. Thanks

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Use the 357 filter elbow and filter but a stock Zama seems to feed 95% just fine and tunes better than the HDA. The HDA can also require some adjustment of the throttle rod so it does not run and drag on release of throttle. Look up my YouTube channel "NCSU4x4" and there is a video showing the throttle dragging. It's only a 30 second clip I think. The next video shows the Zama installed and all is right. I like the Zama better on my Zoo City Saws 346 / "Stitch Maker". I even have the primer functioning. Other than the sewer pipe out the exhaust it's a sleeper and it screams.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. I just got to thinking about this subject last night. I haven’t been under the covers of mine in a while but I’m pretty sure it has the Zama I’ve done the base gasket delete and muffler mod about a year ago. It was a little finicky with adjustments,but I can’t remember if I kitted the carb or not.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I ran the 32 on my 346 when it was stock. It had great manners, started quickly- cold- warm -hot...it didn’t matter. @t4driller installed the 42 after trying the 32. The 42 is really nice too. The 42 is able to deliver enough fuel. Both have been great for different purposes.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks bud. Is this upgrade worth it for a non ported saw
I personally do not think its worth it.

Bigger carb can gain that last tick if its ported all out.. but at a cost for holding tune, idle characteristics, etc. Me personally, I hate tweaking all the time. Tune it once and go. Rarely do I tweak one once its set unless a major temperature change. I like the primer and this saw starts, idles, etc all day with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Finnrpm

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the information!!
Can this throttle dragging occur also with husky 340-350 series with HDA carbs? I have upgraded 340 with hyway cyl./ meteor piston kit, carb is HDA-195 what came with 340. Not checked if throttle rod is dragging, but it would make sense because it is slow to returning back to idle. Saw is not ported, only lower transfers widened slightly, squish is set to .020 & timing is advanced + mmod......
In your opinion, would a zama C3-EL17 carb be a better choice for this set up? It's the only carb model which i would be able to get my hands on.......

RV

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally do not think its worth it.

Bigger carb can gain that last tick if its ported all out.. but at a cost for holding tune, idle characteristics, etc. Me personally, I hate tweaking all the time. Tune it once and go. Rarely do I tweak one once its set unless a major temperature change. I like the primer and this saw starts, idles, etc all day with no issues.

Thanks. Mine also still has the primer and starts and runs very well , other than being a little finicky off the start some times. I’ll probably put a kit in it and see what happens

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I run Walbro 191, 198 & 199 carbs on mine, but prefer the 346 intake track. Just a bolt on upgrade & never had any issues, or needed to modify anything. Have 5 saws done this way, but one has a 357 intake track. No reason to run a 357 boot (measure both) but the 357 filter & neck 'might' be a slight boost.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run Walbro 191, 198 & 199 carbs on mine, but prefer the 346 intake track. Just a bolt on upgrade & never had any issues, or needed to modify anything. Have 5 saws done this way, but one has a 357 intake track. No reason to run a 357 boot (measure both) but the 357 filter & neck 'might' be a slight boost.
I was thinking about the filter and neck change also

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks bud. Is this upgrade worth it for a non ported saw
On a stock saw, no it's not worth it. But with just a gasket delete and mm I see an increase. If your saw is running fine & doesn't need a new carb there little reason to change carbs. I like the primer bulb also, but only have it on one 346, the newest one.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is that video for reference:

And the Zama:

It looks like your throttle rod is dragging on the rubber boot a little. How would you fix it? Just bend the throttle rod at a different location?

The Zama el42 looks to solve the HDA199 throttle drag issue, does it also allow for the primer bulb? What saw did the el42 come from?

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like your throttle rod is dragging on the rubber boot a little. How would you fix it? Just bend the throttle rod at a different location?

The Zama el42 looks to solve the HDA199 throttle drag issue, does it also allow for the primer bulb? What saw did the el42 come from?
The Zama is a touch narrower. Rod moves toward the CL of the saw...no more rub on the boot. The Zama was original to the saw.