trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
3:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I changed out my 288 lo top for a high top set up. Everything is tight and it used to start up fine. Now when I start it up it spits on choke, when I push in the choke to start it again it will idle fine but when I go to throttle her up she bogs down to the point where I've got to feather the throttle to get it running, but once she's running it fine. Can let her settle down and when I throttle her up she has good response. Did the hi top air filter change the flow of air to the carb? Maybe try a different starting method? Or mess with the low side screw to lean it out a little? Was going to see what you guys think before I get into it. All I've done is adjust idle and hi side so she has got 12,500 unloaded. Still 4 stroking. Any thoughts?

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Did you move..pinch..twist a fuel line ?

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
K, when I get home will check everything out again. I know that one screw to the carb, lower left, is a pain in the butt to get to. I'll see and if everythings alright then I'll tweak the carb.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I took the cover off, inspected the fuel line, air filter, and started it with the air filter on. It started fine and throttled up fine. Moved the fuel line around just to make sure. Put the cover back on and started her up and she throttled up just fine. Don't know what I did (maybe cover pinching fuel line?) but it seems to be good. I will let it cool down and try starting it one more time. Then going to burn some sage and rid my garage of the ghost thats been fuc**** with my 288 for the past couple of days. No bull, I've had that cover off 3 times and tweek the high and the idle numerous times. Now to get rid of those pesky limiter caps! They have got red and white limiter caps...self tapper and pair of pliers?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
12:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
How fresh is the kit in your carb? If you've never rebuilt it then you might do that if problems continue.
Other than that it sounds like you need to fatten your low a tad bit as mentioned a few times above.

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I might just rebuild it, bought it from Red97, and it ran real good when I bought it. I THINK he put in a kit, gotta go back to my pm's to check. I will fatten it up and see what happens.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a sort of similar problem when i dissasembled mine for a little cleaning. Turned out i didnt get the intake gasket through both screw holes so it was suckin air terribly.

DSS

widebody
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I had a sort of similar problem when i dissasembled mine for a little cleaning. Turned out i didnt get the intake gasket through both screw holes so it was suckin air terribly.
I did the same thing on a 266

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it did it again. I disassembled the whole intake, made sure that I didn't miss anything and reassembled. The only thing I can think of is the air filter tower and the bottom hole did not quite line up. Last time I assembled I put the screw in first when you had a little wiggle room and then tightened the intake down. I'm thinking that that little offset didn't let the intake seat properly to the jug causing a little air leak. When the jug got hot enough to expand a little it sealed it off. This time I cut a very little bit out of the screw hole in the air filter tower, tightened down the intake FIRST and then put the bolt on for the tower. Started it with no filter..good. With filter..god. With cover and filter...good. Will let it sit a couple of hours before trying it again. I hope I burned enough sage!!!!