281xp Mystery

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 281xp about 2 years ago. I used it for a bit cutting big leylandii trees (very bushy softwoods that are good for nothing) and liked it.

I went to use it again in southern beech a couple of months later and the chain would not budge.

I left it lying up for 18 months or so and came back to have a look.

When I tighten the bar nuts down the chain pinches in the top bar rail very close to where the chain exits the saw.

If I leave the bar nuts a little loose I don't get the same problem but they can rattle off.

Chain tension makes no difference, you can visibly see the one drive link getting pinched in the bar rail.

Could it be due to the aftermarket clutch cover? The bar nuts always feel like I can tighten them down more, maybe the metal in the clutch cover is softer than OEM and is being tightened down too much?

Or maybe there is something missing either in the saw itself or in the clutch cover that prevents the chain from being pinched if you over-tighten the cover.

If anyone had any pictures of the inside of a 281xp clutch cover as well as pictures of the exposed clutch mechanism and sprocket/chain tensioner it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have another bar and chain you can try? Maybe the bar rail is cracked?

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
12:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tried 4 different bars and chains.
I would check the clutch cover like Shaun said as well as the bar pad on the chainsaw. Does your saw have both inner and outer bar plates (thin sheet metal plates that go on either side of the bar)?

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just saw a vid about this. WCS clutch covers have an oversize bar pad and the guy had Stihl bars that were not perfectly flat, so the clutch cover would pinch the bar groove. He filed the bar flat and filed a little relief into the clutch cover edges.

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would check the clutch cover like Shaun said as well as the bar pad on the chainsaw. Does your saw have both inner and outer bar plates (thin sheet metal plates that go on either side of the bar)?

I only have the inner bar pad

I just saw a vid about this. WCS clutch covers have an oversize bar pad and the guy had Stihl bars that were not perfectly flat, so the clutch cover would pinch the bar groove. He filed the bar flat and filed a little relief into the clutch cover edges.

Can you post the video?

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the same problem, but it wasn’t the clutch cover. The bar grooves were peened on the top near the adjustment nuts. When you tightened the clutch cover it would not allow the chain to move, the inner lip in the groove was pinching the drivers.
So I got rid of the inner grooves from chain wear and no problems. Just a pointer for anyone else having issues and it’s not the cover