Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it run like this now?

Not quite. It’s only a delete so it will bog if you bury it and the chain was thrashed. I put an edge on it and made some cookies in old hard Ash. It was slightly underwhelming.

We're you by chace tuning with the bar and chain off?

These little saws get wonky in a hurry too.

Glad you got it fixed up.

Well, I had it down to the block for troubleshooting, so I started tuning when the saw was partly assembled. It took a lot of tuning sessions though. I have a weird situation where my shop is 9400’ but town is at 5600’. I always take saws down there to do final tunes in wood.

I’ve spent some time on these carbs. If you track the circuits it seems like the L has a needle but also a bypass circuit so it can never really close. I think a lot of people turn the idle way up to reduce bog from a bad (rich) L setting. The saw revs that way, but only to about 3/4 throttle. I think a lot of people crank the H super lean trying to get to full throttle. That’s how this saw was but also at full throttle it was highly erratic. Like it was hitting a crude limiter. Once I swapped the coil it evened out but wouldn’t rev very high. After two sessions of Idle out, L in, H out (in that order, 1/8 turn at a time) I finally got it where the L could go too lean. At that point the carb was a lot more responsive and I was able to find a good rpm and then tune the H in wood. I still spent 10 minutes after that ironing out a low throttle bog and setting an idle that didn’t die off throttle. Not my favorite carb.

I told the guy to put a new chain on it and bring it back when he wants it ported.