Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can supply panther sprockets if anyone is interested? i also have a few genuine ones left but i'm not sure how many. I'll need to check. Panther ones are £22 plus shipping. Genuine ones are £35 plus shipping but I think I only have 3 or 4 available. I can get a load of the panther ones.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Ketchup

I just did the 2511 I have here and I used lime green playdough to stuff in the crank case. It collected some aluminum but it still allows me to lightly blow away the chips and keep going.

When I was done I pulled the playdough out upside down just in case and nothing made its way in.

This little tub cost a buck at the grocery store. And I think there is a recipe for making it yourself. The clean up was non existent. I also grabbed some silly puty, but the paydough was so easy to apply and remove I'll stick with it if I ever port another one of these.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not sure why I didn’t mention it earlier, but I find doing some epoxy work in the intake helps. I do a pretty deep base cut, so the epoxy allows me to get back to 68 on the intake. My final intake shape is very similar to @mettee .

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not do any machine work on that one. Just gasket delete.

I lowered the intake floor a few degris(de-gris).

I also wanted to try keeping the stuffer so I whittled it way down. Once I do the uppers I think it should run well. I'm waiting on a tiny diamond bur, nothing else will fit. Heck most of the lower transfer I used files on.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They can run very well with minimal work. I'm just bummed my Mitch ported 2511 doesn't seem to run as well as the ones I port. Makes me want to take it apart to see why. I'd trade it for a NIB one, not that it is that bad, but for me to port me one.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They can run very well with minimal work. I'm just bummed my Mitch ported 2511 doesn't seem to run as well as the ones I port. Makes me want to take it apart to see why. I'd trade it for a NIB one, not that it is that bad, but for me to port me one.

What would you do

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not do any machine work on that one. Just gasket delete.

I lowered the intake floor a few degris(de-gris).

I also wanted to try keeping the stuffer so I whittled it way down. Once I do the uppers I think it should run well. I'm waiting on a tiny diamond bur, nothing else will fit. Heck most of the lower transfer I used files on.

See if you can get a contra angle hand-piece from @scarr. It’s a huge improvement for doing the uppers.

I also like keeping some of the stuffer.

Taking a deeper base cut isn’t very popular, but I find it holds the power band at a higher RPM. Especially with longer bars. It’s a lot of extra work though. Both uppers have to be raised which adds room for mistakes. Plus the epoxy is an overnight process.

FWIW, I think there is a notable difference in performance once the intake drops below 70. Could just be my porting or my imagination. Gains in a saw this small aren’t as obvious as a bigger saw.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to get one of Scarrs, but I can't bring myself to spend the money, I don't port many saws and this is likely the only super small one I'll do.

I'm still waiting on some small diamonds. I need the 3/32 collet for my 182, and I found some high quality concentric diamond burs for about $7 each at:

Lascodiamond.com

I spoke with the guy on the phone and he was very helpful.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you find different with the intake lower than 70? I’ve been running mine at 74.5 and testing some at 76. I found more power with 74.5. It was my number for a while. Just been testing a bit more duration recently.

I do quite a bit of machining. I also remove that stuffer and reshape that primary upper to get rid of the void.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you find different with the intake lower than 70? I’ve been running mine at 74.5 and testing some at 76. I found more power with 74.5. It was my number for a while. Just been testing a bit more duration recently.

I do quite a bit of machining. I also remove that stuffer and reshape that primary upper to get rid of the void.

For me, larger intake numbers weren’t getting the power your saw has in the video. Slower to rev, and generally a lower RPM in the cut. I went that direction hoping to get more power behind a 14” bar, but it just wasn’t working. The first 10 or so saws I left the intake at 71-72, then progressed down to 76 with the next 4 or 5. They all ran great, but when I brought the intake back above 70, I instantly felt they were stronger. I made other changes along the way, so there’s a lot of variables.

With the intake high I can raise the transfers a bit more. The saws rev super fast. Honestly, your video is very similar. A nice high power band in the cut.

Bare in mind that I’m working from 5,000-10,000’ (roughly 1,500-3,000 Meters). Saws want to run rich here. It may be that extra intake would be better at lower elevation.
I’m also keeping the transfer tunnels pretty tight. Larger case volume might want more intake duration. Though just the volume of that one stuffer doesn’t seem like much.

Your saw sounds great. Have you tried it with a 14”?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to get one of Scarrs, but I can't bring myself to spend the money, I don't port many saws and this is likely the only super small one I'll do.

I'm still waiting on some small diamonds. I need the 3/32 collet for my 182, and I found some high quality concentric diamond burs for about $7 each at:

Lascodiamond.com

I here you on the money front. I have no idea how people make a living doing port work. It’s a giant money pit for me.

But the contra is worth double what it costs. I prefer it over all my other hand pieces. I use it on big saws just as much or more. The “latch” function is 10 times faster than the chuck system on a 182. It’s a fantastic tool. If you can scrape the cash together you won’t regret it.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lascodiamond.com

i only port saws occasionally for myself and i bought one of those handpieces. ive found it really useful on much larger cylinders. its a no brainer in my book.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not worry about the uppers.

Okay so not even work on them at all? I have them measured up. Secondary up .025, and primary a few degrees past that. Basically putting the secondary back where it is stock and the primary increased just past that, I'm deleting the gasket only.

20221119_124614.jpg

Last edited:

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i only port saws occasionally for myself and i bought one of those handpieces. ive found it really useful on much larger cylinders. its a no brainer in my book.

@srcarr52 hand pieces are one of the best things I’ve bought for port work. I have 2 now. They are great value for money. I use them all the time for all sizes of cylinders as I feel the angle is better for control and more accurate. I would highly recommend getting one from Shaun.

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That is impressive for 25cc. I've been watching the Dyno Joe videos, looks like the 2511 could match 200/200T power but be a lighter saw. I'd like to try a ported rear handle 2511 to compare them in the woods.

Crocky28

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is impressive for 25cc. I've been watching the Dyno Joe videos, looks like the 2511 could match 200/200T power but be a lighter saw. I'd like to try a ported rear handle 2511 to compare them in the woods.

Thanks. I want to send one to Joe to see what I’m getting out of them. It would be nice to see on paper. I’ve been thinking about a rear handle as well for some of the fire wood I have. They are an amazing saw for 25cc.

Ported 200t for comparison.