201t vs 201c

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl only. Not that I am brand biased, loyal or otherwise but I spend a lot of money with my local John Deere dealer. They are also a stihl dealer. I tend to end up with a new saw or 2 each year courtesy of John Deere depending on how much new equipment I buy. . . .
In that case get both...
If in doubt get both...
Just get both

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2511t w/ a sharp chain, always starts and idles like a champ. Safer to 1 hand a 5lb saw then a 9lb saw. Sounds like you got a good stihl dealer so when the 201 acts up he can fix it cheaply.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My father has a mint 201t thats from before they started changing stuff on them. I absolutely love running it. So much power in such a little platform. However neither of us do any climbing and for the stuff we do with it, it is to a point unsafe. We also have often had the conversation that it sucks having such a powerful saw that is hard to cut stuff on the ground with. It will take an 18" piece of red oak and make it it's b**ch. But its really okward trying to hold it with two hands and cut firewood with.

I just recently started using a 193c and I love it. It doesn't have nearly as much ass as the 201t, but it makes up for it with the conventional handle. If you don't need a top handle for climbing, i would definitely go for a 201c. You can cut on the ground with it all day long and not get cramps from holding it kinda funny like you do with a top handle on the ground.

I know alot of guys on here are die hard top handle, but when it comes to comfort and safety on the ground, ide go with a conventional handle any day.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My father has a mint 201t thats from before they started changing stuff on them. I absolutely love running it. So much power in such a little platform. However neither of us do any climbing and for the stuff we do with it, it is to a point unsafe. We also have often had the conversation that it sucks having such a powerful saw that is hard to cut stuff on the ground with. It will take an 18" piece of red oak and make it it's b**ch. But its really okward trying to hold it with two hands and cut firewood with.

I just recently started using a 193c and I love it. It doesn't have nearly as much ass as the 201t, but it makes up for it with the conventional handle. If you don't need a top handle for climbing, i would definitely go for a 201c. You can cut on the ground with it all day long and not get cramps from holding it kinda funny like you do with a top handle on the ground.

I know alot of guys on here are die hard top handle, but when it comes to comfort and safety on the ground, ide go with a conventional handle any day.

Also, From the ground, I can still hold my 193c from the back handle and get those hard to reach limbs in the yard. Not very safe but it works. Another thing for the rear handle is that it prevents you from alot of one hand use. I know i'm guilty of it and ive seen alot of guys on here post about one hand use. Yes it is great to be able to pick up a small log or stick with one hand and cut it with the other, but how quickly could that turn into a bar to the forehead or a missing finger. i love the 201t and other top handles, but I feel like if you don't climb, you probably don't need one or would be better off with a rear handle

Last edited:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
6:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Using a rear handle saw one handed is far more dangerous than using an top handle one or two handed. Substantially longer fulcrum point between kick back zone and your hand. Better have some real strong hands and arms to stop the kickback if it ever happened.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my rear handle 201c 14"/BC. For that small wood up to 10ish inches it's dam hard to beat. Super light, super fast and good on fuel.