High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

08S Stihl Firing - Will Not Run

StanMan

New OPE Member
Local time
11:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Why would a Stihl 08S fire (hot - new points, condenser, plug, et al), but not attempt to run even with gas poured into spark plug or carb? Thanks in advance. StanMan

Jason Gouw

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey StanMan, bummer to hear of your issue. Can you describe the problem in more detail? You mentioned that it "fires" but it does "not attempt to run".

If you have these going then it should run or attempt to run for a short moment:

1. Spark with the correct timing
2. Fuel with acceptable fuel/air ratio. (pouring fuel directly in the cylinder will flood it. A working chainsaw will not start this way either).

My suggestion would be to spray a little starting fluid (ether) into the carb while holding the throttle open. Then give it a few cranks to see if it will fire up for a second. If it does start for a moment this way, then the culprit is most likely your carburetor - either dirty, mixture is way off, or not getting fuel from the tank.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
9:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It could need a carb kit and or crankcase seals. I'd advise sticking with mix to bottle feed with because starting fluids will damage soft rubber parts like carb diaphragms, crankcase seals, fuel lines, ect...

bottlefed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Assuming your fuel is fresh (does not lack volatile elements) and you have a good spark at the plug wire, then either the spark plug is not jumping the gap (plugs can sometimes fire fine outside the cylinder but discharge through the deposits on the center electrodes insulator when in the cylinder), the spark is occurring at the wrong time, or the engine lacks compression.
I agree with Jim I hate to use starting fluid to try to start an engine unless its a really cold day where stale gas and fuel vaporization is the likely culprit.

I would pull the plug, pull the cord with the throttle wide open a few times then let the saw sit in the sun for a couple of hours, then install a new plug and add a few drops of fresh fuel/oil mix to the carb and try again....if it starts and dies then you have a carb issue or a leak somewhere that is preventing an adequate vacuum at the carb to induce fuel flow and atomization/vaporization.

To check timing since its a points/condenser setup, you can do it the old school way.....if you want and you do not have a pacemaker or other heart/health issues.

Pull plug, hold a paperclip in the plug wire with one hand and slowly rotate the engine with the other..when you feel a shock check the position of the piston it should be near the top of the cylinder...this means the timing should be close enough for the engine to start.