064 crankrod knock?

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
11:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the position of the keyway, I believe he is rotating the saw back and forth near BDC.
Other than foreign material, I can’t think of anything that would make that much noise.
Missing wrist pin bearing, bad lower rod bearing?
Maybe, but it looked like close to 90 degrees rotation in the video.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
10:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the position of the keyway, I believe he is rotating the saw back and forth near BDC.
Other than foreign material, I can’t think of anything that would make that much noise.
Missing wrist pin bearing, bad lower rod bearing?
Maybe, but it looked like close to 90 degrees rotation in the video.

I can't watch the vid. My internet sucks. But I've had plenty of pistons contact the crank webs at bdc. Mostly with hyway and golf pistons.

Just throwing it out there as something to check.

Steven

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't watch the vid. My internet sucks. But I've had plenty of pistons contact the crank webs at bdc. Mostly with hyway and golf pistons.

Just throwing it out there as something to check.

Steven
You may be onto something there.

oaky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
the knock noise ended up just being the clutch. but the free rotation did seem excessive.

long story. had the awhole bottom end put back together with new bearings and seals kept the old crank, from a guy that had pulling tools. put a new oem piston in a cleaned up used 064 jug from mastermind. rebuilt the carb tried starting it, it was rough pulling tho. should of stopped there and i should of pressure vac tested it but i didnt. it ran but wouldnt stay running without steady throttle. pretty sure the flywheel seal wasnt pushed in enough and the flywheel *f-worded it up.

but yeah after i pressure vac test it ill open it up cause i was paranoid to begin with but now you guys got me more paranoid

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the knock noise ended up just being the clutch. but the free rotation did seem excessive.

long story. had the awhole bottom end put back together with new bearings and seals kept the old crank, from a guy that had pulling tools. put a new oem piston in a cleaned up used 064 jug from mastermind. rebuilt the carb tried starting it, it was rough pulling tho. should of stopped there and i should of pressure vac tested it but i didnt. it ran but wouldnt stay running without steady throttle. pretty sure the flywheel seal wasnt pushed in enough and the flywheel *frenched it up.

but yeah after i pressure vac test it ill open it up cause i was paranoid to begin with but now you guys got me more paranoid

Ocd is a b itch... But it's a good thing when you are wrenching on things.

Case in point.....
1219192107.jpg 1219192107a.jpg

Let me know when you guys see it. Shouldn't take long.

Steven

oaky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
but ! after looking at it !
there may be alittle play in either the wrist pin bearing or low connecting rod bearing. but with my lucki’ll probably have to rip her open again an get a new crank

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
but ! after looking at it !
there may be alittle play in either the wrist pin bearing or low connecting rod bearing. but with my lucki’ll probably have to rip her open again an get a new crank

Not picking or being a smart ass. Just want to make sure you are positive you have it solid. This little gem I'm working on would have come back and bit me hard. Take the extra time. It's worth it in the long run.

Steven

oaky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
yea, i outa get a set of them puller tools so when this happens its not that big of a deal to put a case together.

oaky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
good question..i used the old one that was in there originally.
i do believe the guy before used an aftermarket piston so maybethe wrist pin bearing is as well.
did not think of that..

oaky

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
found this one in a tiny box at my nos dealers place this evening.
C4DEF036-AE4C-4406-A740-CE582B90B932.jpeg