044 blew its berries

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the looks of it the saw was in a cut when the crank broke in two. The flywheel did this while the bearing was getting worked on by the other half. View attachment 146096 View attachment 146097

It's unfortunate because it's a nice slant fin cylinder otherwise. I do have a nice replacement on hand which I'll port at no additional cost to thank Clint for his patience on the p60 build.
That cylinder is just fine. A little JB Weld would be 100% permanent reliable repair on that.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From the amount of abrasion on the cylinder, that was more than just a few revolutions while the saw was coming apart. Apparently it was being run after the bearing had already partially failed and continued to run until the catastrophic failure. It seems like the operator would have had some clues that there was something going on...

Loanstar

When I grow up I want to be a "they"
Local time
6:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 10mm slant fin 044 in similar condition. Kinda makes me question the lore of its recognition. But in time I will piece it back together. I bought it complete for my local dealers bone pile and after disassembling it. I think i have case haves,tank/handle and covers that are good. Oh well.. Its still worth more to me as a future project than going to the scrap yard.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not mechanic or porter but I believe this is where epoxy would save this cylinder or am I not seeing this correctly. I know I have heard of guys taking a little to much out when grinding and putting epoxy on the outside to give it some added strength. I have had saws with it and never had any problems

I'd prefer to tig weld it. Wouldn't take much.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
4:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m not mechanic or porter but I believe this is where epoxy would save this cylinder or am I not seeing this correctly. I know I have heard of guys taking a little to much out when grinding and putting epoxy on the outside to give it some added strength. I have had saws with it and never had any problems

That cylinder is just fine. A little JB Weld would be 100% permanent reliable repair on that.

I considered jb or epoxy and I know it will work, but I cannot trust that it'll never get knocked loose. The replacement cylinder is an exact match to keep it what it is.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I considered jb or epoxy and I know it will work, but I cannot trust that it'll never get knocked loose. The replacement cylinder is an exact match to keep it what it is.

I know other builders that don’t worry about it and the saws I have owned with epoxy don’t bother me. Besides it’s good enough for who it’s for

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did my job. I did what I had to do. Someone was usually satisfied, and someone was not.

I wasn't trying to be negative about you being a cop Jeff. But when you are in the line of work you are in, you are usually subjected to the underbelly of society. And them people are historically pretty dumb.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you. I kind of misunderstood your post at thr beginning, but it is 20/20 right now. Lol.
Not bragging but I have seen it all. You only deal with problems. Always a problem for someone. Lol