High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

041 AV Farm Boss rebuild

SoCal Bill

New OPE Member
Local time
11:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hey guys, new member here rebuilding an 041 AV Farm Boss that's been around longer than I have. I have a few question and was hoping to get some experienced feedback.

For the first time I couldn't get the saw to fire, new plug, starting fluid, nothing. Compression seemed a little soft so I decided to pull it apart and see whats going on. I was given the saw by my grandfather, but I don't have any real history on prior maintenance. It always just worked and never needed much.

Odd things I noticed:
The carb insulator plate (plastic thing, #8 in the exploded diagram) is missing. (I assume the carb was rebuilt at some point and this was forgotten, discarded, etc). Is it a critical piece that I should seek out a replacement?

Piston only has a single ring. From the diagram manual I downloaded it shows single or dual ring pistons. Everything I have found for sale is dual ring, so I assume they interchange just fine?

Now that it's torn apart I obviously need a new cylinder. Cross performance seems to be the only aftermarket solution i've found. Anything else to look at? Seems I could swap a 48mm Super Cylinder on, but they are pretty hard to find?

My other plan was to change the small end rod bearing, crank seals and oiling system O-Rings, and fuel lines while i'm this far in it. Crank bearings seem good, no excessive play that i've noticed. Anything else I should dive into that I'm overlooking? Carb rebuild kit just because it's cheap?

Any cheap/easy mods to kick some more power out of it? Raise compression, etc? Is this an easy one to ditch the base gasket and seal it, or does it get finicky with the changed port timing? (I know a little about 2-smokers, but not much on the details of this particular saw).

As long as i've had it, the saw was run on Stihl 50:1 oil with 87 octane 76 fuel. Seems like it might want a bit more oil than that based on the piston/cylinder damage.
041av_Piston.jpg

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would make sure to change crank seals and pressure/vac test. Pretty sure you a can't put a super cylinder on it very easy. I think super has long through studs of a larger diameter. Rebuild carb. Probably have a good used jug and piston.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
10:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I probably have a heat shield also. Wouldn't personally run 87 in any small two stroke. I run non oxy 91 but Stihl recommends no less than 89 octane up to 10%ethanol on all new stuff.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
8:34 PM
User ID
Reaction score
That piston doesn't look like it claimed the cylinder. There should be very minimal aluminum transfer on that cylinder wall which can be easily removed. If one was in a pinch, since it's an older slower saw, that piston could be cleaned up and reused with a new ring.
Definitely do the oil seal replacement and carb rebuild as mentioned above.