028 Ignition

Barneyrb

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
028 Wood Boss with points and it's my understanding that all I need to do is bolt a MS290 coil on it to convert to electronic ignition, is this correct?

Flywheel remains the same on as on it now?

twinstaged

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah that's my understanding. Just need to wire the new coil. Same flywheel and everything should run it.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
028 Wood Boss with points and it's my understanding that all I need to do is bolt a MS290 coil on it to convert to electronic ignition, is this correct?

Flywheel remains the same on as on it now?
yep its that easy.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep, take the wires off the points, solder them togethe and heat shrink. Put flywheel back on and set air gap and enjoy!!! You'll find the saw now starts much better also.
You can take the points and condenser if you feel like cleaning under the flywheel up.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Does it work for 028 super electronic too??

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't recall doing a Super but it should work. Just need to disconnect original ignition and put the coil in. May possibly need to run an extra wire but I dought it. It should be pretty straight forward.
That's what I do on all 028's with ignition issues...it's such an easy fix and upgrade.

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why not keep the points? Points ignitions have fatter spark at lower RPM, start easier, etc.

Are condensers getting scarce? (honest question)

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me points are outdated. You need a special tool that slips over the crank end to set them properly or an opened up flywheel.
Points by nature burn the contacts and cause issued. To me the coil replacement is the way to go. The ones I've done all start better and run better in the upper rpm range.
As far as I know the points and condenser are getting scarce and quite ex pensive while the coil replacement is generally under $20. I've used OEM & aftermarket with no issues.

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's cool--to each his own. I will confess to not being able to compare high-rpm type saws points vs solid state, as most all the points saws I own are older (makes sense), and therefore aren't high rpm powerhouses.

Setting the points gap does vary--on typical vintage Poulans, old Briggs mowers, etc., it's faster than setting a spark plug gap. With a Stihl 041, it makes me pull my hair out because I have to use a guitar string. ;-)

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just clip the wire to the points, leave the flywheel alone, bolt on the 029/ms290 coil, hook up the kill wire, and done.