026 Build

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
2:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1473.JPG IMG_1464.JPG IMG_1491.JPG Built an 026 44mm, .040" off base, .015" squish, .025" off the key, ended up at 103/131/74. Widened intake and exhaust, caber rings. Muffler mod and fuel line conversion as well. I'd like to do some transfer work but lack the necessary tooling.
240 psi at assembly.

Saw was pretty much brought back from the dead, wouldn't even turn when I got it. Case full of sludge, mud dobber nests, and sawdust that had turned dirt.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used to stack up a few cut off wheels to raise transfers....
I am considering it. How much difference would it make? She seems to run a bit hotter than stock. It's tuned at 14k but 4strokes to 15k.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm going to put some time on it as-is. I have another 026 in better condition I want to play with in the future.
May look to send that jug out to be cut. I probably have 6 hours in the squish band and base alone. I also wasn't happy with a few scratches I made.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BTW for anyone interested, I used an 029 fuel line I had. Measured the fuel line at .422" where it goes through the tank. Opened tank hole with 13/32" drill (.406"). Worked great, doesn't leak.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm going to put some time on it as-is. I have another 026 in better condition I want to play with in the future.
May look to send that jug out to be cut. I probably have 6 hours in the squish band and base alone. I also wasn't happy with a few scratches I made.
Sounds good but I think you have a Lil too much ignition timing or you need to ditch the oem filter and get a winter filter for it.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks great.

Did you cut the band flat or contour to piston? Hard to tell.

Like Mike said, the metal winter filter is a big plus once you turn these up. If you've got the old style rear end. The newer compensating rear end needs the nylon winter filter, OEM only.

Tough to find in the states, but easy in Canada which seems like you're close to.

Last edited:

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I swapped filters between my two 026', the one on this saw is a loose mesh, seems like nylon. You can see right through the filter, figures it would be less restrictive.

The band is contoured to the piston, I said cut but it was actually sanded the whole time. I used a broken hacksaw blade to clean the ridge at the cylinder wall.

Interesting observation about timing. Could this be why I'm running hot? Starts real easy, runs good and strong.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Looks great.

Did you cut the band flat or contour to piston? Hard to tell.

Like Mike said, the metal winter filter is a big plus once you turn these up. If you've got the old style rear end. The newer compensating rear end needs the nylon winter filter, OEM only.

Tough to find in the states, but easy in Canada which seems like you're close to.
Has has em for the 026 now. I made mine with mesh material and hobby grade super glue