025 "Kit"

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered an engine kit online and decided to put it together today. This was an ebay purchase and I'd already given a pos. feedback because the kit looked complete but when I went to put it together the main bearings had about .2" play between the bearing outer race and the case and the piston rings (3 in kit) were way too big for the cylinder bore. Two of them looked like Cabers, too bad I couldn't use them. Luckily I had an old engine in my garage and took the crank and bearings and one ring off it to use on my new kit. I guess the moral is to check your kit before saying it looks okay....

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
5:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take a look at a non-running 025 that I just restored. Here is the condition it was in before I went to work:
Stihl 025 Before.jpgWhen I opened the pull cord housing I discovered a mud dauber nest right next to the ignition module. Today, and after thorough clean up, it looks like a slightly used saw, but it starts perfectly and runs perfectly. I must admit that I said a prayer before I tried to start it. I think I got a helping hand from the Guy upstairs.

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think that ol'girl will clean up nicely. Thats some serious idgaf about my equipment mentality right there, geesh. I actually get mad at people that treat their stuff like that, even though its not mine lol.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered an engine kit online and decided to put it together today. This was an ebay purchase and I'd already given a pos. feedback because the kit looked complete but when I went to put it together the main bearings had about .2" play between the bearing outer race and the case and the piston rings (3 in kit) were way too big for the cylinder bore. Two of them looked like Cabers, too bad I couldn't use them. Luckily I had an old engine in my garage and took the crank and bearings and one ring off it to use on my new kit. I guess the moral is to check your kit before saying it looks okay....
Don't be the guy who leaves feedback like "I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good" or 5stars "I haven't received it yet, but I think it will work" ;)

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that ol'girl will clean up nicely. That's some serious idgaf about my equipment mentality right there, geesh. I actually get mad at people that treat their stuff like that, even though its not mine lol.
Thank you for the support of my work, Boots. The same guy also brought in this Stihl MS310 for me to work on. Here is what he showed me:
Stihl MS310 Before.jpg
I had never worked on chainsaws in much worse condition than these unless they had been run over by heavy equipment. This saw also runs today after I restored it. Neither of the two bars were the originals. By some miracle, both engines had enough compression and a spark remained so that their top ends allowed them to fire whatever fuel mixture the carb delivered from the tank.

So, I did not have to use any "Kit" that OP mentioned. Perhaps it was a rare event. Please understand that A. Palmer and I tend to enjoy bringing the dead back to life.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't be the guy who leaves feedback like "I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good" or 5stars "I haven't received it yet, but I think it will work" ;)
Nothing like that, I looked at the parts before I said anything about it, I did notice the kit had 3 rings instead of 2. I guess from now on I'll put the thing together before I say anything about it...I've always had good luck with these parts and engines, this is the first one that's caused me any trouble. I still got the thing together fairly quickly using some parts I already had, just haven't got the engine in the saw yet.

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the support of my work, Boots. The same guy also brought in this Stihl MS310 for me to work on. Here is what he showed me:
View attachment 208430
I had never worked on chainsaws in much worse condition than these unless they had been run over by heavy equipment. This saw also runs today after I restored it. Neither of the two bars were the originals. By some miracle, both engines had enough compression and a spark remained so that their top ends allowed them to fire whatever fuel mixture the carb delivered from the tank.

So, I did not have to use any "Kit" that OP mentioned. Perhaps it was a rare event. Please understand that A. Palmer and I tend to enjoy bringing the dead back to life.
You got it Edwin, nothing like taking a dead machine and restoring it to good health!