High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Curly English Walnut

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
10:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I cut down this English Walnut at my sisters house a couple weeks ago. The 2 harsh winters in a row we had in '13 and '14 killed it, and it had started dropping large branches anytime we had a decent gust of wind.

I noticed some nice curl in the grain of the wedge I removed for the notch, so I was expecting to find some figure near the stump. I worked on the first 8' of it today, and turns out the curl extends at least through all of that. :banana::campeon::campeon2:

I cut it into two 4' sections due to an abrupt taper and direction change at that point. 10 pieces, 9/4, widest was around 25".

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Winner winner chicken dinner!! Awesome, just awesome. Yesterday I replied to a CL add for free wood that the electric company left. It ended up being a standing dead ash. When I noodled the base pieces I saw the same pattern of figure, just mainly on one side. When I unloaded it, I cut all the 1/2's into bowl blanks for the lathe.

I'd love to see your boards planed and wet. They are going to make a beautiful piece.

I think the csm and lathe habits are going to take a serious chunk out of my firewood hoarding!!

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice day today, so I worked on another section of the walnut after work. There's one more 4' section left to go, a little larger than this one.

I used the 661 today with 3/8 28" full comp and a single tank of gas. I really like this setup. I made four 9/4 slabs, and I also hauled all of the wane cuts home to make into some campfire benches - they all have some nice curly figure too.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And here's the rest. It wasnt quite 4' but I got some nice book matched crotch slabs. It pains me but I'm leaving the rest for firewood. The other two pieces are branchy and there's not much heartwood.

I think I'm going to saw the crotch out of them. I've had a couple like this crack on me because the branch wood wanted to twist.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Shawn Curry

Cuts trees in half
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's what I did with it that slab - gave these to my mom for Mother's Day. I cut most of the joinery with a chainsaw. The legs for the table and the wedge keys are black walnut.

benches1.jpg benches2.jpg benches3.jpg