sfg.Foley

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,

first - Maybe the text is going to be a little longer. Second: Yes, I l know that the perfect saw do not exist.

well after Husqvarna brought the 560 to the market I got so much trouble with it, so I replaced my Husqvarna Saws with Stihl saws when they Husqvarna's went down. Then also the Stihl quality went down, started with the 201. Hell yeah, I never cursed so much except when using this saw. To get this thing started when it was hot was a nightmare. My first 261 M Tronic was a really, really good saw. Hold up very well and cut down a lot of wood. Then I replaced it with the 2.0 version and again - trouble.

I then got a test saw from my Stihl dealer who also sell Echo. I really liked the Echo 620SX. Yea, a little an the heavy side but torque wise the saw beat the Stihl 362CM. So I trade my 362CM in and also my 261 for a 501 SXH. A while later I bought a 2511 and damn was this thing impressive. How could a saw have litterly no weight and can use a 25cm or 30cm chainsaw bar. I know, its a little under the Stihl 201 but you dont feel much a different without one big benefit: The 2511 starts always! The only thing when the saw don't starts is when no fuel is in it. I now have 2 2511 - one Echo, one Shindaiwa. The Echo is ported so the power is 1:1 like the Stihl 201CM.

Okay - All thees saws have one big "Bug". The Air filter's are crap. The 620 have the worst one. It like a filter from a 150$ hardware store china chainsaw. The 501 and 390 have the old Husqvarna 346XP and 357XP style filter's. But they are not thin enough. When we need to cut down those dry, dead spruces some wood particles get through the filter. For this kind of work Husqvarna have had different kind of filter you can buy. They have had a flocked version that was perfect for this kind of work.

Thats brings me to my question (and thank you for ready all of this - I know it was long): Does some other Air filters for the 620, 501 and 390 exist? I don't care if its original Echo or aftermarket or if someone made it in his garden house. Specially for the Life expectancy of the saws, those filters would be great. The saws will live longer when the wood dust stay out of the intake and don't get in.

BTW - Thats the Airfilter from a Echo 620SX. Looks like a joke, or?

Luftfilter-Echo-Shindaiwa-CS-590-CS-600-CS-610-CS-620-600-SX-b.jpg

Since Echo build the 7310 we all know that Echo can build good or maybe perfect air filters. The 7310 have a filter that's kinda like the Stihl HD2 filter's. They worke very well and are easy to clean with air pressure from the inside.

So compared to the US the European/German market for Echo pro saws are small. You could nearly saw that the market for pro saws are non existing. I think less then 10% of loggers use Echos. Tree care services you see Echos more often. Mostly the 2511 & 362. So thats the reason I ask in a US based chainsaw forum. I think Echo is fare more common in the US and maybe there are some aftermarkets solutions that would help me.

If you know some aftermarket solution that would help me - that would be so awesome.

Thank you for ready all of this - even with my bad English!

Greetings from Germany

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,

first - Maybe the text is going to be a little longer. Second: Yes, I l know that the perfect saw do not exist.

well after Husqvarna brought the 560 to the market I got so much trouble with it, so I replaced my Husqvarna Saws with Stihl saws when they Husqvarna's went down. Then also the Stihl quality went down, started with the 201. Hell yeah, I never cursed so much except when using this saw. To get this thing started when it was hot was a nightmare. My first 261 M Tronic was a really, really good saw. Hold up very well and cut down a lot of wood. Then I replaced it with the 2.0 version and again - trouble.

I then got a test saw from my Stihl dealer who also sell Echo. I really liked the Echo 620SX. Yea, a little an the heavy side but torque wise the saw beat the Stihl 362CM. So I trade my 362CM in and also my 261 for a 501 SXH. A while later I bought a 2511 and damn was this thing impressive. How could a saw have litterly no weight and can use a 25cm or 30cm chainsaw bar. I know, its a little under the Stihl 201 but you dont feel much a different without one big benefit: The 2511 starts always! The only thing when the saw don't starts is when no fuel is in it. I now have 2 2511 - one Echo, one Shindaiwa. The Echo is ported so the power is 1:1 like the Stihl 201CM.

Okay - All thees saws have one big "Bug". The Air filter's are crap. The 620 have the worst one. It like a filter from a 150$ hardware store china chainsaw. The 501 and 390 have the old Husqvarna 346XP and 357XP style filter's. But they are not thin enough. When we need to cut down those dry, dead spruces some wood particles get through the filter. For this kind of work Husqvarna have had different kind of filter you can buy. They have had a flocked version that was perfect for this kind of work.

Thats brings me to my question (and thank you for ready all of this - I know it was long): Does some other Air filters for the 620, 501 and 390 exist? I don't care if its original Echo or aftermarket or if someone made it in his garden house. Specially for the Life expectancy of the saws, those filters would be great. The saws will live longer when the wood dust stay out of the intake and don't get in.

BTW - Thats the Airfilter from a Echo 620SX. Looks like a joke, or?

Luftfilter-Echo-Shindaiwa-CS-590-CS-600-CS-610-CS-620-600-SX-b.jpg

Since Echo build the 7310 we all know that Echo can build good or maybe perfect air filters. The 7310 have a filter that's kinda like the Stihl HD2 filter's. They worke very well and are easy to clean with air pressure from the inside.

So compared to the US the European/German market for Echo pro saws are small. You could nearly saw that the market for pro saws are non existing. I think less then 10% of loggers use Echos. Tree care services you see Echos more often. Mostly the 2511 & 362. So thats the reason I ask in a US based chainsaw forum. I think Echo is fare more common in the US and maybe there are some aftermarkets solutions that would help me.

If you know some aftermarket solution that would help me - that would be so awesome.

Thank you for ready all of this - even with my bad English!

Greetings from Germany
On the 590 and 600/620 series i put a oring on the air horn where the filter meets the base
I had no further issues in the 7 year's i cut with it.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Filter to air horn connection is the issue with the 501. I removed the 'gasket' and wrapped a couple wraps of teflon tape around the channel, then put the gasket back on. Very tight fit. Only fines I'm seeing now are what can get through the Shindaiwa mesh filter material. Had been my only complaint with the saw. Before, the entire air horn would be caked with fines.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
filter.PNG

This is an optional mesh filter for the 590/600/620. Sometimes the nylon filters will actually do a better job of filtering because of the lower overall restriction. Also put some heavy grease on the seam between the two filter halves. I agree, the air filter is the weak spot on these saws but thankfully on the 620 it has a great prefiltering setup. Despite this weakness, the engines are the most reliable that I've seen. They go for thousands of hours: we've had some in commercial service for over 8 years non-stop. 501.PNG

This is the US breakdown for the 501, not sure if the 390 is the same. These are flocked filters.

RCBS

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I need to put a felt filter back on and see if the fines completely disappear. I'm partial to the nylon due to easy cleaning and long life. They'll last forever so long as you don't poke a hole in them it seems. Have both versions for almost all my junk. Have not run across any mesh for my CS3400 or the Makimar 6100 <---(best filter setup of any of my saws).

sfg.Foley

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 419589

This is an optional mesh filter for the 590/600/620. Sometimes the nylon filters will actually do a better job of filtering because of the lower overall restriction. Also put some heavy grease on the seam between the two filter halves. I agree, the air filter is the weak spot on these saws but thankfully on the 620 it has a great prefiltering setup. Despite this weakness, the engines are the most reliable that I've seen. They go for thousands of hours: we've had some in commercial service for over 8 years non-stop. [...]
Thank you. Those new nylon filters looks like the filter Husqvarna is using. If the have the correct size, no beach dust will go behind. I will male some photos in the future of the intake, so that you guys believe me.
I need to put a felt filter back on and see if the fines completely disappear. I'm partial to the nylon due to easy cleaning and long life. They'll last forever so long as you don't poke a hole in them it seems. Have both versions for almost all my junk. Have not run across any mesh for my CS3400 or the Makimar 6100 <---(best filter setup of any of my saws).
Do you mean Makita 6100? If so, the Makita 6100 have a HD Filter like all the Stihl Pro saws with the HD2 Filter and alle the new Echo saws are getting HD filters so. 7310, 4310 ... and than are people wo printed 3D Parts so that we can run those HD Filters on Echo saws that normaly dont have HD Filter on it. So yes - the HD Filter are superior. Only Husqvarna is going a slightly other way. Husqvarna is looking wich kind of three the land there sell the saw is cutting the most. Thats why we in Europe getting other filter (without the bulk on for example 372XP) and the US and sout america is ketting yellow flocked filter thats like those HD filters. With the Husqvanra 592XP Husqvarna now is going other ways: Even we in Europe, after having so much trouble getting the same filter as the guys in the US. So we get the HD Filter too!

Geetings.
Yep, the oem 620/590 filter is sufficient. I've had no problem with them, and I cut alot of dry fire killed spruce.

Well than we have had made other experience. I never cut down wood who was on fire. So I cant tell anything about it. But I can tell you about those very thin beech particals who can made it throw the filter and get in the intake. And that should be.

By the way: Thats how a 261 after a whole day in beech looks. Its not rough stuff, its very thin stuff that the filter need to blocked. The most part, nobody think about is, is that a HD2 Filter or same looking filters have a much bigger surface for letting air in befor they need to be clean completely. Thats why its so important to my to get the new HD Echo Filter an every so I probably can. And no, all the stuff in the filter is from one 8-10h working day. I clean my filters every day with pressured air.

img_20160208_123106clahv.jpg

Greetings

Greetings

Last edited:

Kerfed

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seriously considering adding a 501 to the line-up. 550xp mk2 is a phenomenal saw but heavier than I want for 50cc. We have mk1 and mk 2 which are commonly out and about so each worker will use both during the day; the weight difference is noticeable. The 620 is a solid saw, 24” full skip for 4(?) yrs commercially and very few issues.

EFSM

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seriously considering adding a 501 to the line-up. 550xp mk2 is a phenomenal saw but heavier than I want for 50cc. We have mk1 and mk 2 which are commonly out and about so each worker will use both during the day; the weight difference is noticeable. The 620 is a solid saw, 24” full skip for 4(?) yrs commercially and very few issues.
The 501's are good saws. They have better built engines than the 550's but lack the metal side cover, so make sure your workers don't get too ham-fisted tightening the bar nuts. They also have rubber anti-vibe mounts instead of spring, which some people complain about. I own a 501 and have never minded the vibration. Paired with an Oregon Speedcut bar, that saw is astonishingly light.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

He has ones for smaller echos too. I have one on my 600sx shindaiwa and its been good for me.

RCBS

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you. Those new nylon filters looks like the filter Husqvarna is using. If the have the correct size, no beach dust will go behind. I will male some photos in the future of the intake, so that you guys believe me.

Do you mean Makita 6100? If so, the Makita 6100 have a HD Filter like all the Stihl Pro saws with the HD2 Filter and alle the new Echo saws are getting HD filters so. 7310, 4310 ... and than are people wo printed 3D Parts so that we can run those HD Filters on Echo saws that normaly dont have HD Filter on it. So yes - the HD Filter are superior. Only Husqvarna is going a slightly other way. Husqvarna is looking wich kind of three the land there sell the saw is cutting the most. Thats why we in Europe getting other filter (without the bulk on for example 372XP) and the US and sout america is ketting yellow flocked filter thats like those HD filters. With the Husqvanra 592XP Husqvarna now is going other ways: Even we in Europe, after having so much trouble getting the same filter as the guys in the US. So we get the HD Filter too!

Geetings.

Well than we have had made other experience. I never cut down wood who was on fire. So I cant tell anything about it. But I can tell you about those very thin beech particals who can made it throw the filter and get in the intake. And that should be.

By the way: Thats how a 261 after a whole day in beech looks. Its not rough stuff, its very thin stuff that the filter need to blocked. The most part, nobody think about is, is that a HD2 Filter or same looking filters have a much bigger surface for letting air in befor they need to be clean completely. Thats why its so important to my to get the new HD Echo Filter an every so I probably can. And no, all the stuff in the filter is from one 8-10h working day. I clean my filters every day with pressured air.

img_20160208_123106clahv.jpg

Greetings

Greetings

Yes the Makita/Dolmar. Not only the filter media, but the connection to the filter plate. I have a 7900 with HD filter and the 6100 is superior design/engineering of the two. Soft and supple rubber surround on bottom of filter give excellent seal. I think they only cost around $20 too. Impressive.