Galexy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi everyone. This crack is on my 066. Shipping damage unfortunately. The crack does go all the way through. It leaks chain lube. It is not broke off completely but cracked . What is the best way yo fix this and be reliable besides case replacement. I have read about Alumaloy rods and some other expoxy stuff. What is yall opinion

Attachments

• IMG_20240426_145322.jpg
    IMG_20240426_145322.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 26

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi everyone. This crack is on my 066. Shipping damage unfortunately. The crack does go all the way through. It leaks chain lube. It is not broke off completely but cracked . What is the best way yo fix this and be reliable besides case replacement. I have read about Alumaloy rods and some other expoxy stuff. What is yall opinion
I have a Jonsered 2054 I bought years ago with the oil tank seam compromised. I cleaned it and JB worked,I have a parts saw with a good tank but so far the JB is holding up. I doubt it will do for yours. I'll watch this thread for some "GOOD" advice. Good Luck.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not familiar with Stihls. Does the broken piece support something? If not, and if you're not too concerned about aesthetics, I would bust it off, clean the housing good, and seal it with JB Weld.

Galexy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not familiar with Stihls. Does the broken piece support something? If not, and if you're not too concerned about aesthetics, I would bust it off, clean the housing good, and seal it with JB Weld.
It dont support anything. Its a guard right infront of the oil cap

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen many saws with successfully patched oil tanks. However if you want to keep that guard piece and fix the leak, one sure way is to find someone who does magnesium welding.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It can be heli-arced .Firstly every bit of the e-coat has to be ground out because it can't be welded through .In addition it may take some experimentation on what alloy of filler rod to use .I'm not familiar what that would be on Stihl nor am I a good heli-arc welder .However I "know a guy " I'm the go to guy on electrical stuff .

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the past I've created those from weld but since it's still partially attached I'd ditch cut it and carefully tig weld it. Hopefully the backside isn't cracked.