Zama C3M DM12 vs DM18

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I've got several C3M carbs off of all generations of dolmars. All are the "twin jet" type carb. I thought they were all the same but after cleaning them it looks like I have DM12 and DM18. I figured they were about the same but I pulled the high side jets and they are completely different ends where it seats into carb.
Is there any other difference between the two carbs?? Does one have any advantages over the other??

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer the 11 & 12’s, more consistent and mod better. 18 was an upgrade with larger primary(idle circuit jet) more prone to flooding and more inconsistent and touchy. Seen them bad on new saws.
Never compared hi side needle so can’t comment on that. Has me curious now… may explain what’s going on with them. Just another note… the early 18’s seemed good but as of latter I find them with issues.

S&S_Work_Saws

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer the 11 & 12’s, more consistent and mod better. 18 was an upgrade with larger primary(idle circuit jet) more prone to flooding and more inconsistent and touchy. Seen them bad on new saws.
Never compared hi side needle so can’t comment on that. Has me curious now… may explain what’s going on with them. Just another note… the early 18’s seemed good but as of latter I find them with issue
The high side jet is so different between the 12 and 18 that they are even a different diameter and pitch thread. Won't even screw in the carb.
Have you tried the new carb Zama has on their website as the carb that supercedes the DM12 yet? Wondering if it has any potential at all. I can't remember the model number but it's a long part number. I'll have to go copy and paste it here.

Sloughfoot

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:20 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which variety of C3M did stihl put on the early 90's 044?