High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

yeti coolers

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
11:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
i looked at a small yeti cooler to use while im out working are they really worth the extra money or should i get a coleman?

RedFir Down

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look into RTIC coolers. Guys at work rave about them and say they are half the price of a yeti.
A guy I work with has RTIC's 30oz. cup and it holds ice for more than a day in this 100* heat working out in it.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestion i will look into that brand as the yeti's look nice but the price is a shock.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
12:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The rotomold coolers are worth it. I don't have any experience with the off brands, but the reviews I've been reading about them have been very good.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a RTIC, they are half the price of a Yeti. I have read good reviews on the brand that Walmart sells, but from what I understand they are really hard to find. When a Walmart gets a shipment they seem to fly off the shelves.

A few buddies of mine in Texas have the 65qt Yeti's in Texas that they keep in the back of their trucks. They fill their coolers with cold water, beer and ice on Sunday nights. They are in and out of the coolers all week and come Friday the ice is finally all melted but everything is still cold.
These coolers are in the bed of the trucks and sit outside 24/7, not being parked in a garage.

I have a equivalent sized Coleman Extreame cooler and about the most I am able to keep ice in it is 2 days.

A smaller cooler won't keep ice quite as long as the larger ones will, but a small rotomold cooler will still keep longer than a small conventional cooler. The key to making the ice last is to "pre-chill" them. Before you load it full of ice either put a bit of ice water or throw a bit of ice in it for a hour to chill it down.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you happen to have the name of the cooler that Walmart sells? I can't cough up the cash to buy a Yeti regardless of how awesome they are.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you happen to have the name of the cooler that Walmart sells? I can't cough up the cash to buy a Yeti regardless of how awesome they are.

@Majorpayne

He's the one who perked my interest in them. I think they are Ozark Trail.

I believe the brand that gander mountain sells are the same as the ones sold at Walmart. From what I understand the parts are interchangeable.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That name sounds familiar. I think I've seen them at gander. Thanks

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna toss a suggestion. I just won't drop the dime on a yeti because I don't need to keep ice that long. If you Need ice for a week they're worth it If you need I've for a day it's a waste. Ice is cheap I looked into the nice yeti with the casting platform to stand on when fishing. I only go out for a day at a time a small bag will keep my fish cold till I get home and I still have plenty if ice. I bought just an igloo marine cooler. Nice cooler for the cash. If you got the extra cash *f-word it why not with the yeti. I'm just a tad tight with my money on a cooler I'd buy a saw without hesitation but not a cooler

bigbadbob

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I bought two Yeti can coolers,, they work OK, they say not to freeze them WTF,, they could have come with three tops one for bottles, one for cans one to make it a drink cup. for what I paid I wasted my cash.
Thos e RTIC look real good,, I did a Canada Google, they want 3x the U.S. price here!!
BBB

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They look very nice, but cost more than the first 3 cars I owned (combined!!!). Not sure that I really need a military grade (and priced) ice chest.

I have had good experience with the better Igloo and Coleman coolers - these are typically the larger sizes. The hinges on some of the cheaper coolers go after a bit (replaceable or ignorable), and I have had some drain plugs leak after while (silicone caulk fixes that). When they 'die' they still have life as tool chests, chainsaw cases, etc.

PB232678.jpg

If you really need extended time, consider locating a source for dry ice where you live, work, or play.

Philbert

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They look very nice, but cost more than the first 3 cars I owned (combined!!!). Not sure that I really need a military grade (and priced) ice chest.

I have had good experience with the better Igloo and Coleman coolers - these are typically the larger sizes. The hinges on some of the cheaper coolers go after a bit (replaceable or ignorable), and I have had some drain plugs leak after while (silicone caulk fixes that). When they 'die' they still have life as tool chests, chainsaw cases, etc.

View attachment 28287

If you really need extended time, consider locating a source for dry ice where you live, work, or play.

Philbert
Now that's a new one

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i bought me a el cheapo styrofoam cooler from the local dollar store to limp me by until i figure out what i want.

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My brother was gonna order a RTIC cooler recently and they're backordered several months on every model. So you gotta stand in line.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We sell Pelican coolers at work, people claim they are half the price of a Yeti. The sales brochure claims ice will last between 7 and 10 days in them. It takes about a month to get them in once they are ordered.

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like a 5gal bucket with a hand full of rock salt!

Idahonative

O.P.E.f.o.r.u.m. Mutt
Local time
10:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
i looked at a small yeti cooler to use while im out working are they really worth the extra money or should i get a coleman?

Do your homework Jake. Yeti and Pelican make excellent products but there are other companies/brands that perform well also for much less.

Although not a cooler, a great example of what's going on with marketing these days is Walmart's Ozark brand vacuum sealed stainless cups. Someone told us that the Ozark cups were just rebranded Yeti's. We didn't believe it but decided to look into it. It is true! The vacuum sealed Walmart Ozark branded stainless cups are made in Yeti's factory to Yeti specs. My niece bought a 20 oz. Yeti for somewhere around $40 and the same Ozark cup is $7.85:

Companies have figured out that they can market their products to a larger group of people at different price ranges. The fact is, someone like my niece is perfectly fine paying 4x the price for the Yeti cup vs. the Ozark cup even though they are the same thing. Some people care more about name than anything else. I'm not one of those people as I care about performance AND price...kind of like Echo products...LOL.

Milkman31

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do your homework Jake. Yeti and Pelican make excellent products but there are other companies/brands that perform well also for much less.

Although not a cooler, a great example of what's going on with marketing these days is Walmart's Ozark brand vacuum sealed stainless cups. Someone told us that the Ozark cups were just rebranded Yeti's. We didn't believe it but decided to look into it. It is true! The vacuum sealed Walmart Ozark branded stainless cups are made in Yeti's factory to Yeti specs. My niece bought a 20 oz. Yeti for somewhere around $40 and the same Ozark cup is $7.85:

Companies have figured out that they can market their products to a larger group of people at different price ranges. The fact is, someone like my niece is perfectly fine paying 4x the price for the Yeti cup vs. the Ozark cup even though they are the same thing. Some people care more about name than anything else. I'm not one of those people as I care about performance AND price...kind of like Echo products...LOL.

This is my Walmart ozark trail tumbler $10.00 side by side with the yeti I seen very little difference!! The saying on it is just an inside joke between some friends lol!!!image.jpeg